Re: New components

Suzanne Hardy <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 1 Apr 2008 22:51:37 +0100

a session at the next TK1 meeting on 1 May would be very useful.

suzanne

Emma Frost wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> A mail to inform you of some exciting new components that are now
> ready for use if you wish.
>
> We have finished work on 5 new 'free text' components. These
> components allow you to simply type in a particular word and all
> relevant records tagged with that word will appear in an automatic
> list. An example can be seen on:
>
> http://www.heacademy.ac.uk/ourwork/learning/pdp
>
> This page has a list of PDP Related Resources at the bottom. This is
> an automatic list that i've put on the page and used the keyword 'pdp'.
>
> The main points regarding these components:
>
> * The components can be found in the components folder called 'free
> text', we have one for news, events, projects, resources and funding
> (I have attached a screenshot of where to find them for you,
> "free_text1.jpg")
>
> * They pull back records with a matching word in either the keywords
> or HEAV metadata (it is therefore essential that records have the
> correct metadata for the automatic lists to work) you simply type your
> word in the Classification field in the component (see screenshot
> "free_text2.jpg")
>
> * They work with one word, you can type in a few words but it'll
> still list records if only one of those words is in the keywords field
> or the HEAV field
>
> * The word is not case sensitive
>
> * The components only list records that are not archived (you can't
> just set the record to archive=no you have to make sure the archive
> date in the metadata is changed to a later date)
>
> * Many different background colours are listed in the appearance
> drop-down box and they are all listed by name (i've attached a
> screenshot of this too "free_text3.jpg"), so colour-wise there are now
> a lot more options for you
>
> * The size field is actually the number of records displayed on that
> page before pagination kicks in (i.e. before it adds multiple pages)
>
> * It doesn't yet work for more than one subject centre, so if you try
> to bring records in from two different centres it won't currently work
>
> * You can choose to display records alphabetically or chronologically
> (again see screenshot "free_text2.jpg")
>
> It probably sounds a bit complicated due to the above but honestly
> it's not. I recommend just adding some of the new components to a page
> and editing the component and trying a few things out, they open up a
> new world of possibilities for us all :-)
>
> Any questions / problems just let me know. As soon as I have some more
> time I shall put a video together showing all the components and the
> different options available. This is also something we could go over
> at the next user group meeting if you wish.
>
> Kind regards,
> Emma
>
> *Emma Frost*
> *Portal Content Manager*
>
> Tel +44 (0)1904 717500 ex 2227
> Mobile +44 (0)7825 008247
> Fax +44 (0)1904 717505
> [...]

Suzanne Hardy
Senior Advisor (Information)
Higher Education Academy Subject Centre for
Medicine, Dentistry and Veterinary Medicine
Newcastle University

email: [log in to unmask]
tel: +44 191 222 5888
fax: +44 191 222 5016
web: www.medev.ac.uk/

direct line: 0191 246 4550
mobile: 07790 905657
Sharing good practice in chairside teaching
Wednesday May 21 2008
King's College London
http://www.medev.ac.uk/dinky?dinky_id=831