JOB: PhD studentships

Steven G Gilmour <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 28 Mar 2008 16:01:51 +0000

TEXT/PLAIN

                  Queen Mary, University of London

                   School of Mathematical Sciences

                   PhD Studentships in Statistics

At least two fully-funded studentships are available for full-time study
starting in September 2008 (or as soon as possible thereafter). One
studentship will be funded from our EPSRC Doctoral Training Account
allocation and is open to UK residents and (on a fees-only basis) to other
EU residents. The other studentship is funded by Queen Mary and is open to
any suitably qualified applicant. Applicants should have a good first
degree containing a substantial component of statistics and/or an MSc in
Statistics or a related subject.

The Statistics Group (http://www.maths.qmul.ac.uk/MRC/res_stats.shtml) at
Queen Mary has an international reputation for methodological and applied
research in the design of experiments, Bayesian statistics and sequential
analysis. We currently have 7 academic staff, 2 post-doctoral researchers
and 10 research students. We are part of a large and vibrant School of
Mathematical Sciences (http://www.maths.qmul.ac.uk/index.shtml), as well
as the cross-faculty Centre for Statistics (http://www.stats.qmul.ac.uk/).

Applicants should indicate their preferred area of research. This can be
in any area of statistics in which we are able to supervise a project, but
some suggested project titles and potential supervisors are:

Design of experiments where the experimental unit is a group of people
(Professor RA Bailey)

Design of experiments for safe investigation of increasing doses of new
drugs (Professor RA Bailey)

Optimum experimental design for early drug development studies (Dr B
Bogacka)

Group-sequential response-adaptive designs for comparing several
treatments (Dr DS Coad)

Design of industrial experiments with hard-to-change factors (Professor SG
Gilmour)

Bayesian optimal design of experiments in biological kinetics (Professor
SG Gilmour)

Design and analysis of genetical genomics experiments (Professor SG
Gilmour)

Bayesian methods for outliers in multivariate distributions (Dr L Pettit)

Methods for measuring disagreement between the data and the prior (Dr L
Pettit)

The application process is described, and application forms are available,
at http://www.qmul.ac.uk/postgraduate/apply/index.html. The closing date
for applications is 15 May 2008. Applications received after this date
will be considered, but it is likely that the studentships will already
have been allocated. Applications should be sent to the address shown on
the application form, but please email a copy to Professor Steven Gilmour
([log in to unmask]), who will also be happy to discuss informal
enquiries.

Professor Steven G Gilmour

School of Mathematical Sciences
Queen Mary, University of London
Mile End Road
London E1 4NS
United Kingdom

Tel: +44 (0)20 7882 7833
Fax: +44 (0)20 8981 9587 (department fax, not private)

Web page: http://www.maths.qmul.ac.uk/~sgg

PA: Karen Zirngast (Tel.: +44 (0)20 7882 5494