MIDWIFERY-RESEARCH@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

MIDWIFERY-RESEARCH Home

MIDWIFERY-RESEARCH  February 2008

MIDWIFERY-RESEARCH February 2008

Re: FW: Introduction

Carolyn Hastie <[log in to unmask]>

A forum for discussion on midwifery and reproductive health research." <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 28 Feb 2008 15:29:15 +1100

Hello Jane,

I manage a publically funded stand alone maternity service that is women centered one to one midwifery care (8 midwives working with about 40 women per year). We have been working this way for 2 1/2 years now and about 85% of the women birth their placentas themselves.

I too have a fascination with the third stage of labour and how often we 'abort' it by our 'management' practices and it is amazing to me to see the midwives truly take on the physiological approach when they are able to :-)

It's interesting isn't it how easy it is to 'forget' that women are actually still in labour when they are birthing their placentas ( LOL )  I could go on and on about this issue.  Goodness knows what mischief we have and are still creating for the babies and the mothers with all our 'active' activities in the third stage!!

 Perhaps these midwives would be good to include in your study?   We are now able to support women at home as well as in our beautiful birth centre if your study is purely restricted to homebirth.

There are some brilliant stories as you can imagine!

warmly, Carolyn

Carolyn Hastie
Midwifery Manager
Belmont Birthing Services
Hunter New England Health

Conjoint Senior Lecturer
School of Nursing & Midwifery
University of Newcastle

FACMI  IBCLC

Mobile 0428 112 786
Email     [log in to unmask]

"when you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love"     Marcus Aurelius

>>> Jane Fry <[log in to unmask]> 28/02/2008 3:02 am >>>

Dear all,
I would like to introduce myself as a novice researcher. I am in the throws of undertaking a phenomenological study of independent midwives experiences of supporting women's physiological third stages during a home birth, I look forward to joining the discussion group.

Kind Regards,

Jane.

Jane Fry
Midwifery Lecturer
Supervisor of Midwives
School of Health & Social Care (HSC)
Bournemouth University (Branch Campus)
Top Floor Finchdean House (above physio)
St. Mary's Hospital
Milton Road
Portsmouth
Hants
PO3 6AD.

Tel. O2392 286000 Ext. 4630
This e-mail message may be confidential and is intended only for the use of the individual(s) to whom it is addressed. It may contain information which is or may be confidential, non-public or legally priveleged.
Please do not disseminate or distribute this message other than to its intended recipient without permission of the author. You should not copy it or use it for any purpose nor disclose its contents to any other person. If you have received this message in error, please notify me by email immediately and delete the original message and all copies in your computer system.