Seminars - Edinburgh University

Colin Aitken <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 11 Feb 2008 11:00:13 +0000

Friday 22nd February 3.15 p.m. Room 6301, JCMB
NATALIA BOCHKINA
SCHOOL OF MATHEMATICS, UNIVERSITY OF EDINBURGH
Title: Univariate hypotheses testing for gene expression data in a
hierarchical Bayesian framework.

Friday 29th February 3.15 p.m. Room 5326, JCMB
DAVID BANKS DEPARTMENT OF STATISTICAL SCIENCE, DUKE UNIVERSITY, DURHAM,
NORTH CAROLINA
Title: Inference on Graphs, Trees, and Partitions.

Friday 14th March 3.15 p.m. Room 3315, JCMB
CAITLIN BUCK, UNIVERSITY OF SHEFFIELD
Title: Estimating radiocarbon calibration curves.

All seminars will take place in the James Clerk Maxwell Building at the
King's Buildings site in Mayfield Road.  Tea and coffee will be
available after the seminar in the Mathematics School, Staff Common Room
(5212).

Any enquiries about these Seminars should be made to

Colin Aitken, James Clerk Maxwell Building, Room 4605.
Phone: (0131) 650 4877
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

-----------------------------------

ABSTRACTS

Natalia Bochkina (School of Mathematics, University of Edinburgh)
Title: Univariate hypotheses testing for gene expression data in a
hierarchical Bayesian framework.

To compare the means between two conditions (such as disease versus
healthy samples) for a large number of variables given a small number of
replicates, we consider two types of Bayesian hierarchical models: with
noninformative ("objective") and mixture priors for the difference
between the means. In the mixture model, we study sensitivity to the
choice of prior on simulated data and choose the best model using mixed
posterior predictive checks. In the model with noninformative prior, we
propose to conduct the inference using adaptive interval hypothesis
testing where the interval depends on variability of each variable.
These approaches will be illustrated on gene expression data sets
produced by BAIR consortium (www.bair.org.uk).
(Joint work with Alex Lewin and Sylvia Richardson, Imperial College London)

David Banks (Department. of Statistical Science, Duke University,
Durham, North Carolina)
Title: Inference on Graphs, Trees, and Partitions

In a surprising range of situations, one encounters samples in which the
observations are combinatorial objects (e.g., in social network theory,
cluster analyses, multiple protein phylogeny, and card-sorting
experiments).  This talk shows how a number of standard statistical
goals, such as inference on centre and dispersion, confidence regions,
and a version of the linear model, can all be realized in such
circumstances.

Caitlin Buck (University of Sheffield)
Title: Estimating radiocarbon calibration curves

In addition to being crucial to the establishment of archaeological
chronologies, radiocarbon dating is vital to the establishment of time
lines for many Holocene and late Pleistocene palaeoclimatic studies and
palaeoenvironmental reconstructions.  The calibration curves necessary
to map radiocarbon to calendar ages were originally estimated using only
measurements on known age tree-rings.  More recently, however, the types
of records available for calibration have diversified and a large group
of scientists (known as the IntCal Working Group, IWG) with a wide range
of backgrounds has come together to create internationally-agreed
estimates of the calibration curves.  In 2002, I was recruited to the
IWG and asked to offer advice on statistical methods for curve
construction.  In collaboration with Paul Blackwell, I devised a
tailor-made Bayesian curve estimation method which was adopted by the
IWG for making all of the 2004 internationally-agreed radiocarbon
calibration curve estimates.  In this talk I will report on that work
and on the on-going work that will eventually provide models, methods
and software for rolling updates to the curve estimates.

--
Professor Colin Aitken,
Professor of Forensic Statistics,

Tel:    0131 650 4877