NEW-MEDIA-CURATING  February 2008

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING February 2008

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Writing about the ephemeral... the insignificant the singular the condition

Elena Cologni <[log in to unmask]>

Elena Cologni <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 21 Feb 2008 21:23:23 +0000

text/plain

Dear all,
I have followed your unfolding thoughts and, although I wanted to
contribute, I found myself facing the ongoing dilemma: 'is this time for
making and messing or analysing and organising?' I will respond to some of
the interesting issues discussed and propose some new ones.

I have been working on various aspects of memory, time, representation since
99 in mediatised performances, and the writing becomes more and more
creative and less analytic to the point that I can say that the medium of
performance relays on the writing. Not script sort of writing, but words
that make up extended titles, which eventually shrink into a short title,
which might actually be used. It's very similar to a dawing process, where
one looks for the essence, it's a thinking process. For whichever medium,
it's appropriate context is location for art, including the page. The
cohesive element is a conceptual approach. There seems to be a method, but
the problem with this is my inability to stop and write to analyse or
describe from a set and fixed position - as much as in all my work, now
dealing with the video delay, the subject is the deferral.

'You define the present as that which is, when it is simply what is
happening. [ce qui se fait]. Nothing is less that the present moment, if you
mean by that the indivisible limit that separates the past from the future'.
When we think of this present as what ought to be [devant etre], it is no
longer, and when we think of it as existing, it is already past…all
perception is already memory' (Bergson *Matièr et mémoire, *166-167 in
Guerlac's 'Thinking In Time, An Introduction To Henry Bergson', Itaca and
london Cornell UNiversity, 2006, p.148.)

'The observation of an event is an event in itself' (Bruno Vicario,* Il
Tempo*, Il Mulino, 2005)

With a new performance at Manchester Museum in April and Glasgow
International later the same month, I am now chewing cables... looking for
that video image. The image is an overlapping of delayed live recordings to
be used in the performances.

On the other hand I am working on the documentation material in
www.elenacologni.com/memory for a publication. The project developed between
2004 and 2006. *Mnemonic Present, Un-Folding* series investigates the
relationship between liveness, present-ness and memory in performance
art practice,
and between the process of memorisation on the part of the audience
and the creation/manipulation
of video documentation produced live at the moment of performance and
immediately re-played. The performances included, the folding of paper,
myself recollecting images of homes from memory, three 8 seconds delayed
projections of a close up of the action, one of which from my forehead. As I
would look at the audience I would descrive a person's movements, later
mirrored on the screen.

In the context of the performance concept, the stills I will chose to
publish would re-interpret the work also in the light of more recent
writings which interesting enough developed in parallel of my project being
investigated including:

[...] The question of whether an event actually has to happen in order to
qualify as live art is one I take up in my recent essay "The Performativity
of Performance Art Documentation," Performing Arts Journal, Nov. 2006. A
slightly caricatured version of the argument I make in this essay is that an
event does not actually have to happen to be considered live art, but it does
have to be documented. On the face of it, one would think that conceptual
art, which is all about the idea, and live art, which is presumably about
the action, are two different things. But especially with endurance art and
the like, I think that the experience of live art for the audience
frequently is primarily conceptual. [...] I am saying that because it is in the
nature of this kind of work that the audience must imagine most of it, the
impact is largely conceptual. [...] Yves Klein did not actually have to jump
out a window onto the street below in order to make his point. Best Phil
Auslander '[...] It may well be that our sense of the presence, power,
and authenticity
of these pieces derives not from treating the document as an indexical
access point to a past event but from perceiving the document itself as a
performance that directly reflects an artist's aesthetic project or
sensibility and for which we are the present audience.' (from the above
mentioned essay)
best Elena