Re: Silent Room / Projection

Helene Lesterlin <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 27 Feb 2008 18:39:19 -0500

text/plain

*** This email has been sent from the MEDIA ARTS AND DANCE email forum. To respond to all subscribers email [log in to unmask] ***

Sure, I'll try.  I saw Silent Room last May so It was a while ago but...

I saw it in a very large hangar-like space as part of the Elektra
Festival in Montreal.  It was packed - I was amazed that so many
people were coming to a screening like this (experimental video).
The five screens were set up side by side, spanning a wide space,
higher than eye level so we all sat and looked up.  From what I
gathered, software reorganized the clips and stills. The content:  16
rooms, where different situations and people are filmed and
photographed, stage-like, poetic, subtle colors, and totally luscious
images.  The situations the people were is were odd, off kilter,
emotional, sad - eg an old couple sitting in a white room, on an old
bed, with a thin piece of muslin connecting their heads, looped, as
they faced away from each other, sitting on opposite sides of the
bed.  Some scenes were solos.  It seems like natural movement, but
somehow very stylized too.  And the mixture of still images with
video, and all different qualities of image, worked very well to get
your eye to jump and stay engaged the whole time - it never leveled
out for me.  Stayed surprising and compelling.  I was only
disappointed with the sound, which seemed to be more of the post-
techno-electronica family, it didn't seem to fit, made it feel like
they were going for something hip when what they had was something
startlingly original.  I would not say it was the Dumb Type aesthetic
- at least not this piece - it did not have the slick, ironic, cute
(as in kawaii) quality that I associate with Dumb Type.

So anyway, it was not an installation view - it was a multiple screen
projection against one wall with a large seated audience.  I wonder
what the other iterations feel like, when it is more intimate.

I am sorry to say I have been very busy of late and haven't followed
the thread on GLOW.  Maybe I'll look back on it now - I am bringing
GLOW to EMPAC next spring, with presentations and an installation by
Frieder.

Hello to all!