Help for CEPHAD Archives

CEPHAD Archives

CEPHAD@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

CEPHAD Home

CEPHAD  February 2008

CEPHAD February 2008

Re: SV: Any ideas for a practical aesthetics?

Robin Durie <[log in to unmask]>

Robin Durie <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 27 Feb 2008 11:07:41 +0000

Hello Per

I am slightly sceptical of the feasibility of the kind of practical aesthetics you describe. This is in part because, I think, aesthetics as a discipline is primarily concerned with a theory of judgements, specifically, of judgements about 'the beautiful', or about beautiful things. What you seek, on the other hand, is a theoretically grounded account of a praxis. The two need not be mutually exclusive, but there would appear to be significant obstacles to reconciling the two objectives within a unified theory.

Notwithstanding these reservations, I personally would urge any such course to begin with, or at least deal as early as possible with, Kant's theory of aesthetic judgement, specifically as it refers to the beautiful (rather than the sublime, which latter would seem to me to fall outside the confines of design). This is partly because Kant more or less defines the parameters for all successive discourses on aesthetics; & partly because there is a significant normative strain running throughout his text. Also, he thematises problems relating to the principles of interest & disinterest, the subjectivity of taste & the objectivity of judgment, and the issues of purposiveness and of form. For all of these reasons, I think there is a genuinely rich potential within Kant's work for critically addressing the potential of the project you outline.

all the best

robin

Dr Robin Durie

Senior Lecturer in Political Theory