Re: Copyright on photos

Teresa Doherty <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 5 Feb 2008 09:21:26 +0000

Dear All

Along with several other institutions we submitted photograph details to
the following project (2006/07).  It gone very quiet and the last I
heard Bob Pullen had left the project.  Has anyone heard anything?!

The reason I mention it now is that I found it really useful for helping
identify the full names of photographers / photographic studios.  It is
possible that it could be used to link to information about copyright.
It had the makings of a very useful cross domain resource.

The Directory of Photographic Collections in the UK is part of the
Photography and the Archive Research Centre, which is based at the
London College of Communication, website address:
www.photographyresearchcentre.co.uk
Directory of Photographic Collections in the UK website address:
http://directoryphotographcollections.ac.uk.virtualservers.ch/beta/pub/apps/about_directory/index.php

Steven: we allow people to take supervised digital copies of photographs
so long as they fill out an itemised copyright declaration form (i.e.
for their own study).  We make it clear they have to clear copyright
(and apply to us for reproduction rights) if they want to publish.

Teresa

Steven Davies wrote:

> Dear all
>
> Like many of you I suspect, we are in something of a quandry when it
> comes to photographs and providing copies (or not, as the case may be!)
>
> As artistic works the bottom line legally is that if in copyright they
> may not be copied unless the copyright holder gives their blessing.
>  Unfortunately, for photos accessioned years ago this permission was
> never sought by this office at the time of deposit.
>
> We've been experimenting since around September '07 with trying to
> contact depositors / copyright holders when we are asked for copies of
> photos by members of the public, but given the number of photographic
> order requests we receive the amount of staff time taken up is
> prohibitive (and that's just writing to depositors, let alone putting
> adverts in the Times or anything like that).  Also, the information we
> receive back is not often very useful.
>
> Accordingly we are fairly sure that we are going to stop doing what
> we're doing and instead simply refuse copies if the photos are still in
> copyright.  I would be interested though to hear what others are doing
> in this regard and what problems / solutions you've come across.
>
> Any gems of wisdom / experience on dealing with this topic would be
> gratefully received (or, if you would like to have a quick therapeutic
> rant about copyright restrictions, please feel free to do that too -
> probably best off-list though!)
>
> Regards to all
>
> Steve Davies
> Archivist
> Flintshire Record Office

> Opinions advice, conclusions and other information in this
>
> message that do not relate to the official business of
>
> Flintshire County Council shall be understood as neither
>
> given nor endorsed by it or on its behalf, and consequently
>
> Flintshire County Council shall bear no responsibility
>
> whatsoever in respect thereof.
>
> Deellir na fydd unrhyw safbwyntiau, na chynghorion, na
>
> chasgliadau nac unrhyw wybodaeth arall yn y neges hon,
>
> nad ydynt yn berthnasol i waith swyddogol
>
> Cyngor Sir y Fflint, yn cael eu cynnig na'u cadarnhau ganddo
>
> nac ar ei ran, ac felly ni fydd Cyngor Sir y Fflint yn derbyn
>
> unrhyw gyfrifoldeb am y rhannau hynny o'r neges.

Teresa Doherty
Archives and Museums Manager
The Women's Library
London Metropolitan University
Old Castle Street
London E1 7NT

www.thewomenslibrary.ac.uk

t +44 (0)20 7320 3513 (direct)
f +44 (0)20 7320 2333 (shared)

For our online catalogue see
www.thewomenslibrary.ac.uk/archivemuseumcatalogue

For Genesis, a resource for women's history maintained by The Women's
Library, see www.genesis.ac.uk

Companies Act 2006 : http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/companyinfo