Help for BRITARCH Archives

BRITARCH Archives

BRITARCH@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

BRITARCH Home

BRITARCH  January 2008

BRITARCH January 2008

Re: Ainsworth - Can anyone explain the disparity?

Michael Haseler <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 16 Jan 2008 11:19:47 -0000

Nick,

the reason I wanted to air this topic and get it discussed was mainly due to
the public perception that the program would produce. Whilst I am reassured
by the many comments on Britarch, and particularly by some that have
questioned the archaeological methodology adopted, this in itself does
nothing to alter the public perception that the program reported and indeed,
will have helped to create.

What I'm trying to say is that metal detecting is obviously a serious issue
for British archaeology, but I don't see a lot of comment on Britarch
seriously discussing ways to engage with the "valdermort" community, indeed
it is that subject that cannot be named.

As this is a subject I have little direct dealings with I have to admit I'm
out of my depth but even so let me try and ask some questions that seem
pertinent:

1. What is the archaeological community doing to tackle the bad publicity
this time team program will have created?

2. What efforts are underway to tackle the distrust of "valdermorts" so that
in future they won't think twice, thrice or even a thousand times about
contacting archaeologists?

3. Who is doing the "lessons learnt" on the Ainsbrook excavation? (and
apologies for getting the title wrong)

4. When will the archeological community start treating valdermorts as
fellow wizards?

Mike