Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: againg in a care home

Lalage Grundy <[log in to unmask]>

Discussion of mature learning for leisure, health, or work

Mon, 21 Jan 2008 17:30:33 +0000

text/plain

Thank you for replying to this. I am not very apologetic about being a

little provocative, but you have made my point exactly. It is important to

get the learning opportunities which people want and if we can't do this

because of problems such as policies demanding accredited learning, then we

need to organise and fight back, be clear about what we want and make

demands for what we want in relevant places. As far as money is concerned,

of course it is true that without money, only the wealthy will be able to

get the kind of learning they want, so we should be trying to bring the

money our way.

Lalage

             Martin Allinson

             <martinallinson@H

             OTMAIL.COM>                                                To

             Sent by:                  [log in to unmask]

             "Discussion of                                             cc

             mature learning

             for leisure,                                          Subject

             health, or work"          Re: againg  in a care home

             <MATURE-LEARNING@

             JISCMAIL.AC.UK>

             19/01/08 02:38

             Please respond to

              "Discussion of

              mature learning

               for leisure,

             health, or work"

             <MATURE-LEARNING@

              JISCMAIL.AC.UK>

"With all the government consultation about adult learners going on, it

would be useful to know about problems of accreditation, delivery,

financing etc"

 I wonder if I am just being an irascible old git, but the 68 years and 4

months of my on-and-off experiential learning within  'educational'

institutions (since I was first enrolled in one at the age of 4 years and 6

months) causes me to translate the above into: "Here comes the next

bandwagon. There'll be some nice little earners for some middle-aged,

middle-class academics falling off the back of it. How does one trail it?".

'Accreditation' is a lovely little restrictive practice, isn't it? Who will

accredit the accreditors, I wonder?

'Delivery' conjures up all sorts of images of insubstantial waffle being

put over with a flourish.

'Financing' reminds me of the investigative maxim: "Follow the money".

I would suggest that a better starting point is to consider the learners'

needs (i.e. "What would it be useful for them to learn in order to cope

with what is expected to be their lot?") and then proceed to possible

methods (i.e. "How can they be best helped to learn it?").

It is from their personal experiences that we may discover the answers to

those questions. So it is with personal experiences (reported first- or

second-hand) that we should start---and reading or listening to anecdotal

accounts is probably the best starting point in order to get insight into

those.

Internet forums are a wonderful new way of 'tapping in' on anecdotal

evidence.

So much cheaper and better for the environment than driving to some distant

branch of the Further and Higher Education Industry and then forking out

hard-earned money (pensions being a form of deferred income).

Always be very wary when governmental consultation is going on. It probably

means that authoritarians are seeking a way to be exploitive of the weaker

or restrictive of the freedoms of individuals.

> Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 13:21:51 +0000

> From: [log in to unmask]

> Subject: Re: againg in a care home

> To: [log in to unmask]

> I would be more interested in learning issues generally rather than

> personal experiences, or maybe I have joined the wrong list.

> With all the government consultation about adult learners going on, it

> would be useful to know about problems of accreditation, delivery,

> financing etc

> Lalage

> Sheila Vine

> <sheilavine@YAHOO

> .CO.UK> To

> Sent by: [log in to unmask]

> "Discussion of cc

> mature learning

> for leisure, Subject

> health, or work" Re: againg in a care home

> <MATURE-LEARNING@

> JISCMAIL.AC.UK>

> 18/01/08 10:47

> Please respond to

> "Discussion of

> mature learning

> for leisure,

> health, or work"

> <MATURE-LEARNING@

> JISCMAIL.AC.UK>

> Can someone please tell me how to escape tjis list

> Thanks

> Martin Allinson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Recently, I saw an estimate that it can be expected that 50% of today's

> 30-year-olds may live to 100 (http://www.ifaonline.co.uk/public).

> My own PhD research in my years of advancing geriatricacy is on

> Sustainable Economics and the leadership of the Mekong Basin countries.

> (Apparently it is a noticeable phenomenon that many of us oldies get

> interested in conjecturing about what we are going to miss seeing!!, (R.

> Jackson, "Continuing Your Education in Retirement", Ameriprise Financial

> Archive, 2006)).

> At the time, I was doing a paper for an Engineering Conference on the

ways

> in which what we teach engineers, and how we teach it, should change as

we

> prepare them for the era of Sustainable-Sufficiency Economies.

> If any of my greatgrandkids who are in school today become engineers, and

> are in that 50%, they'll live to see some Low-Oil Lifestyles developed.

> I wonder what will be the date when driving lessons will again start (as

> mine did) on the seat of a greatgrandfather's cart behind a horse?

> I see that Strathclyde, where we went in May 2007, has started a Centre

> for Intergenerational Practice. Maybe I should get a horse and cart and

> start doing a bit of it with the greatgrandkids.

> Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 16:32:00 +0000

> From: [log in to unmask]

> Subject: againg in a care home

> To: [log in to unmask]

> Thanks Patsy and Fiona.

> Susan Greenfield talks about more of us getting to 100, so Fiona’s

> aunt is a role model isn’t she!

> Yes Patsy, I know what you mean about balancing the need to be in

> charge of one’s life and the need to be looked after by others. My

> old dad who died a few months ago at the age of 92 lived

> independently and productively till the last eighteen months of his

> life. I suppose it was the mice in the kitchen that did it for him

> in the end, feeding as they did on his plates of uneaten food. In

> his care home he could at first contribute to and indeed lead

> conversation, and also play the piano, in particular the Blue Danube

> which he performed with huge aplomb, ' it should sound like an

> orchestra', and he had a regular circle of admirers. But by the end,

> with a poor heart and the knowledge that he had indeed lost his home

> and all but one bookcase’s worth of his books, he reached his 92nd

> birthday, and then simply lost the will to live, dying just 10 days

> later.

> In fact I think it did work out alright for him, though if we had

> realised about the mice a fair bit earlier who knows?

> Best wishes,

> Angie

> Checked by AVG Free Edition.

> 16/01/2008 09:01

> Sheila Vine

> JavelinStyle Communication

> Business English for Business Professionals

> Postfach 1524

> 33170 Bad Lippspringe

> Germany

> Telephone 0049 5252 1486

> Fax 0049 5252 934821

> www.javelinstyle.co.uk

> Sent from Yahoo! - a smarter inbox.

> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

* *

> This email and any attachments with it are intended for the addressee

only.

> It may be confidential and may be the subject of legal and/or

professional privilege.

> If you have received this email in error please notify the sender or

> The content may be personal or contain personal opinions and cannot be

taken as an expression of the County Council's position.

> Surrey County Council reserves the right to monitor all incoming and

outgoing mail.

> Whilst every care has been taken to check this outgoing e-mail for

viruses, it is your responsibility to carry out any checks upon receipt.

> Visit the Surrey County Council website - http://www.surreycc.gov.uk

* *

This email and any attachments with it are intended for the addressee only.

It may be confidential and may be the subject of legal and/or professional privilege.

If you have received this email in error please notify the sender or [log in to unmask]