Help for LDHEN Archives

LDHEN Archives

LDHEN@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

LDHEN Home

LDHEN  January 2008

LDHEN January 2008

Re: What we are called - and our international voices ...

Julian Brasington <[log in to unmask]>

Julian Brasington <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 8 Jan 2008 09:22:49 +0000

The National Framework Agreement establishes the principle that those of us with a teaching role are lecturers (part-time or otherwise).  A good number of those of us on this list have, like myself, come via EAP / TEFL where the phrase 'tutor' has been empoyed as a job title as a means of establishing an artificial distinction between teachers as lecturers and teachers as tutors.  We need to hang on to what we have gained here.

I would echo Sandra's point that how staff within the field are percieved by (other) academic staff has a profound impact upon how our role and work is understood.

Julian

Julian Brasington
Writing Centre Coordinator
Liverpool Hope University
Gateway Building
Hope Park
Liverpool L16 9JD

Tel. 0151 291 3938

>>> John Hilsdon <[log in to unmask]> 01/08/08 9:11 am >>>
Dear Sandra, Maureen and all ... briefly - would that we COULD all call ourselves lecturers or tutors - for many of us it is not an option because of our contracts! My "boss" has to all intents and purposes 'forbidden' the use of the 't' word in our work ....  I am a lecturer but the rest of my team are not on academic contracts .... we are still struggling with this  ....

John