Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Things we could do

Penny Priest <[log in to unmask]>

The UK Community Psychology Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 5 Dec 2007 15:08:30 GMT

'...if we don't like the direction its officers take us, there is nothing to stop  us trying to do something about it through already existing, established channels.  While there are lots of things we can't do, like influencing world politics, there are in fact some things we could, in principle, do, like attacking and exposing the dishonest and potentially oppressive practices of our own profession, and perhaps indeed setting up in opposition to them via the said democratic channels...'
In fighting with my own apathy and scorn, I thought I would post this invitation from Lord Darzi to stakeholders, to comment on 'Our NHS Our Future'. This invitation was originally to respond to a questionnaire, which is referred to on Page 54 of the Our NHS Our Future document, in the section, How To Get Involved. Only, when I went to get involved, it turned out the questionnaire doesn't seem to exist (see my email exchange, attached). Not a particularly good advert for them, but I'm not surprised either...

Anyway, Lord Darzi is inviting people to submit to his Review our policy ideas regarding 8 areas, one of which is mental health. Specifically, he wants to know:
What are the barriers?
What are the enablers?
What changes could we make that would have the greatest positive impact.
I think many people on this list could provide him with many suggestions from community psychology, not least with regards poverty, social inequality and social in/exclusion.
Of course, I am also cynical, eternally pessimistic and don't imagine anyone would take the slightest bit of notice, but sometimes I like to say things just for the sake of saying them (and regarding a revolution, I can dream, can't I?)
I wonder what others think.
Penny

--
Message sent with Supanet E-mail