Help for MCG Archives

MCG Archives

MCG@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

MCG Home

MCG  November 2007

MCG November 2007

Manchester Art Gallery seeks Digital Artist

Helena Wetterberg <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 9 Nov 2007 11:22:25 +0000

Manchester Art Gallery seeks Digital Artist

Commission
Manchester Art Gallery (MAG) is commissioning a digital artist or artist
group  to take part in our programme to commemorate  the bicentenary of
the Abolition of the Transatlantic Slave Trade Act.  The artist will
develop a new interactive artwork that engages MAG website visitors in
this topic through our collections.

Project Overview

Manchester Art Gallery (MAG) is one of eight museums and galleries in
Greater Manchester that are working in partnership on the Revealing
Histories: Remembering Slavery project.  Looking at the bicentenary date
of the Abolition of the Slave Trade Act as a starting point, the Revealing
Histories: Remembering Slavery project seeks to explore the legacy of the
transatlantic slave trade and its economic, social and cultural impact on
Greater Manchester through our collections.

Through working together with our local communities, we are looking at
objects in our collections in a new way to reveal untold stories that help
us to understand and raise awareness of this history.

At  MAG, we have been running a programme of public events, new displays
and community development projects that has resulted in the production of
new interpretation material about our collections through the responses
that our visitors have made.  The digital artwork will reflect these new
interpretations and inspire visitors to further explore our collections
and its links to the transatlantic slave trade and also to encourage new
artwork, we are also enhancing our online collections search facility and
an online collections highlights tour that will be drawing on this new
interpretation material created by our visitors.

Design aims and Objectives

To create a high quality, innovative interactive digital artwork to be
incorporated into the MAG website.   The artwork will be inspired by
visitor responses and objects from Manchester City Galleries’ (MCG)
collection that have a connection to the transatlantic slave trade.  The
artwork will be part of a wider Revealing Histories: Remembering Slavery
online resource that is currently in development and based on our existing
online collections search facility.  As part of this resource, the artwork
should encourage visitors to the website to create new responses to the
artwork and/ or the collection objects.

The visitor responses that have been gathered so far through a series of
public events, community development projects and displays include:

·       Written labels and sound recordings in response to a gallery trail
of objects on display
·       Audio & video recordings of City tours and discussion events
·       Drawings demonstrating visitors’ ideas of Freedom
·       Commissioned performance poetry
·       Commissioned graphic and textile artworks
·       Visitors’ suggestions for how to commemorate Manchester’s role in
the transatlantic slave trade

Technical requirements

The artist is encouraged to creatively respond to this brief however, the
final artwork must meet the following requirements and will be subject to
final approval and testing by MAG staff:

1
Final artwork is a high-quality interactive artwork designed to be
integrated into the MAG website
2
Meets web accessibility guidelines WCAG1 Level AA as a minimum standard
And references WCAG2.0 where appropriate -
http://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG20/quickref/#media-equiv
3
Creation of an easy to use content management system with capacity for
staff to alter content and create metadata in-house if appropriate or
including the facility to integrate with Manchester Art Gallery's own CMS
4
Incorporates elements of images, text, audio, video from the recorded
visitor responses
5
Makes use of Web 2.0 tools and applications as appropriate

Copyright

Copyright of the artwork shall remain with the Artist.

Manchester City Galleries will be granted a perpetual/irrevocable,
non-exclusive licence without further payment to reproduce any work
created during the Commission as necessary by imaging, video, audio or
digital media for publicity or promotional purposes connected with the
Commission.  If the newly commissioned Work is reproduced in a
publication, the credit line should state: “Commissioned by Manchester
City Galleries”.
Artist’s role

·       To attend meetings with MAG staff to agree the project aims,
schedule, budget, progress and approval of draft and final artwork
·       To propose and come to agreement with MAG staff about a budget and
schedule for the development and production of the artwork.
·       To develop a digital artwork to be incorporated into the MAG
website that reflects the views and interpretations developed by MAG
visitors in response to MCG’s collection and encourages         website
visitors to respond to the artwork and MCG’s collection
·       To have a flexible approach to creating and adjusting the final
artwork in response to MAG staff recommendations
·       To train MAG staff in using the interactive element of the artwork
and any content management system created for adding metadata to the
artwork
·       To liase with MAG staff to ensure integration of artwork meets
technical requirement and approval as detailed above.
·       To take part in evaluation of the project as led by an external
evaluator.
Schedule

·       Nov 07: Recruitment (Interview: 29 Nov 07)
·       Dec 07 – Feb 08: Research & Development
·       March 08: Public launch of artwork as part of a wider event
reflecting the past year’s Revealing Histories: Remembering Slavery
programme
Fees
The total fee for design and technical production of the digital artwork
is £6000.  This includes any travel expenses.  Time and budget allocation
for this commission is to be negotiated between the artist and MAG staff.

Application

If you are interest in applying for this commission please submit:

·       A covering letter that explains why you are interested in the
commission
·       Your CV
·       Samples of your work

Deadline: 9am Monday 19th November, 07

Please note:  For this commission, you must be available for interview on
Thursday 29th November, 07

Selection Process

Shortlisted applications will be invited to an informal interview at MAG
on Thursday 29th November, 07

Criteria for selection will be based on the applicants strengths in the
following areas:

1.      Evidence of specific interest in the legacy and impact of the
transatlantic slave trade on Greater Manchester
2.      Technical and creative ability
3.      Quality of previous work
4.      Ability to create online artwork that meets accessibility
standards required
5.      Ability to deliver projects on schedule and within budget

For further information and to apply, please contact:

Helena Wetterberg
Community Interpretation Officer
Manchester Art Gallery
Mosley Street
Manchester
M2 3JL
Tel: 0161 235 8823
Internal: 804 8823
Fax: 0161 235 8899
email:[log in to unmask]
www.manchestergalleries.org

Manchester City Council supports Smokefree England - 1 July 2007

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept by MIMEsweeper for the presence of computer viruses.

Please contact [log in to unmask] with any queries.