Help for JISC-REPOSITORIES Archives

JISC-REPOSITORIES Archives

JISC-REPOSITORIES@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

JISC-REPOSITORIES Home

JISC-REPOSITORIES  November 2007

JISC-REPOSITORIES November 2007

Re: Hiding items [Was Re: e-prints and hiding metadata]

Chi Nguyen <[log in to unmask]>

Chi Nguyen <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 14 Nov 2007 23:27:24 +1100

I would also strongly agree with the need for a repository to support
both restricted access as well as open access materials. Using Fedora
repository as an example, one can imagine the requirement for a given
journal object to have two datastreams: a postprint pdf that is
restricted to certain people, and a pre-print pdf that is openly
accessible.

This need for flexible access control (ie. one where certain things
are open/public while others are restricted based on certain criteria
of the objects, as well as the ability to manage these access
policies) is the main reason why we, the DRAMA project
(http://drama.ramp.org.au), developed Muradora. It's an open source
Java web GUI to the Fedora repository which would allow precisely the
restriction of metadata example that has been raised here. In fact, we
have used it to demonstrate something similar: restricted access to
IMS learning objects. With Muradora, certain people such as teachers
can upload and view IMS objects (which are in .zip format), but
students can only "play" the IMS objects, but not download the zip file.

-chi

--
Dr Chi Nguyen
RAMP Project Manager &