Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: On reflection

Deborah Chinn <[log in to unmask]>

The UK Community Psychology Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 28 Nov 2007 21:53:54 -0000

text/plain

Elaine, I was very interested to read your post.  I do quite a lot of work
with parents with learning disabilities in child protection cases.  I dont
know about the Scottish system, which is obviously different to the English
legal process for removing children into care, but maybe there is some
overlap in our roles, being psychologists in the position of 'experts' who
are meant to have something important to say about children, parents and
families.  My own experience is that it can feel uncomfortable using a
different voice to the 'system voice' which because of the adversarial legal
system and the paucity of existing support for vulnerable parents cites only
stories of deficit and failure on the part of parents and has concerns about
risk as its highest context of meaning.  Nevertheless, I do refer to
families' social and economic context in my assessments and reports.
Actually, social workers are also instructed to do so according to the
statutory assessment framework (the 'assessment triangle' in the Common
Assessment Framework), but usually neglect to do so.  A really helpful book
which brings together research and assessment approaches in this area is :

Jack, G. and Gill, O. (2003)  The Missing Side of the Triangle:  Assessing
the Importance of Family and Environmental Factors in the Lives of Children.
Barkingside:  Barnardo's.

I often have at the back of my mind Booth and Booth's concept of parenting
as 'distributed competence'.  It is not only individual parents who bring up
children - there is also the contribution of other family members, schools,
neighbourhoods, communities, the media, the state...

I have also found Green and Vetere's paper helpful and inspiring (Green G &
Vetere A (2002) Parenting, learning disabilities and inequality: can
systemic thinking help? Clinical Psychology Forum 14 9-12).  It has
encouraged me to use systemic thinking to come up with strategies to get a
particular point of view (a socio-cultural perspective) across.  there is
the systemic idea of 'a difference that makes a difference'; the need to
acknowledge and engage with the dominant discourses and then offer a new
viewpoint that is somehow digestible.  I definitely make an effort to look
for resources, competencies, and signs of progress not only within the
family , but also within the professional network.  Quite often I do feel
sorry for social workers who are not far off being oppressed themselves.

I often think that whatever I do or say makes little difference once social
services have taken the step of actually removing children.  But then
sometimes I am surprised to find out that what I have said as a 'flying
expert' can make a difference.  It is a priviledged and powerful position,
and I think it is important not to shrink from that responsibility and to
try and speak with authority in advocating for greatly disadvantaged people.

Deborah