DATA-PROTECTION November 2007

Re: Commissioners - New Powers

Lee Gardiner <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 23 Nov 2007 07:48:34 -0000

To follow Antoinette's lead and to also paraphrase Monty P punishment under DP is akin to that dished out by Brian's mother... 'he's not the Messiah he's a very naughty boy...'

TGIF

Lee

-----Original Message-----

From: This list is for those interested in Data Protection issues [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Carter, Antoinette (MCS)

Sent: Thu 22 November 2007 17:13

To: [log in to unmask]

Subject: Re: [data-protection] Commissioners - New Powers

Isn't the six million dollar question here whether the power to "spot check" HMRC would have prevented this latest breach?  I say probably not.  What Mr Thomas really needs, in my humble opinion, is the ability to fine after the event at an appropriate level.  Perhaps not at the same level as the Spanish ("no-one expects the Spanish Information Commissioner" is an often humorously mis-quoted Monty Python quip in our Madrid office) but certainly something more meaty than the threat of an Enforcement Notice (ooh I'm so scared - not)

Antoinette Carter

Consultant

Information Governance

Marketing and Customer Services (MCS)