CONTEMP-HIST-ARCH Archives

CONTEMP-HIST-ARCH@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

CONTEMP-HIST-ARCH Home

CONTEMP-HIST-ARCH  November 2007

CONTEMP-HIST-ARCH November 2007

Public Outreach in Archaeology (Boston)

"Dan Hicks, List Moderator" <[log in to unmask]>

Dan Hicks, List Moderator

Thu, 29 Nov 2007 16:40:43 +0000

Forwarded message from Brent Fortenberry <[log in to unmask]>:

*****CALL FOR PAPERS*****

EIGHTH BIENNIAL OPEN FORUM FOR GRADUATE STUDENTS

PUBLIC OUTREACH: THE ROLE OF ARCHAEOLOGY BEYOND THE SITE

FEBRUARY 8-10, 2008

KEYNOTE SPEAKER: To Be Announced

Organized by the Graduate Student Association of the

Department of Archaeology at Boston University

The Graduate Student Association of the Department of Archaeology at Boston University invites
you to participate in the Eight Biennial Graduate Student Conference on February 810, 2008. This
conference series is intended to provide a forum for the discussion of current issues and
perspectives in Archaeology and its related fields, including Anthropology, Art History, Near
Eastern Studies, Museum Studies and Classics. The theme of this year's conference is
archaeological public outreach, an aspect of our field whose fundamental importance has been
receiving increasing attention in recent years. We invite participants to address outreach by
discussing topics ranging from past successes and failures of outreach efforts, to the role of
archaeologists in the education of younger generations and local communities, site preservation
and presentation, cooperation and outreach with indigenous communities, as well as a discussion
of how we should best present archaeological data in a manner that is accessible to a general
audience. The conference will conclude with a round table discussion, including our keynote
speaker, addressing the current state and the potential for the future of archaeological public
outreach.

Papers are limited to 20 minutes and may address any time period, geographic area, or related
theoretical issue.  Please submit typed abstracts of 500 or fewer words to the address below or by
e-mail ( [log in to unmask]) by January 1, 2008.  Include your name, address,
institutional/departmental affiliation, telephone number, and e-mail address.  There is no
registration fee for this conference.   If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact us
at:

Graduate Student Conference Committee

Department of Archaeology, Boston University

675 Commonwealth Avenue

Boston, MA  02215

Visit the Archaeology Department web site at http://www.bu.edu/archaeology/

email: Caitlin Chaves [log in to unmask]

--
BR Fortenberry
Boston University