Help for ADMIN-PLANNING Archives

ADMIN-PLANNING Archives

ADMIN-PLANNING@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

ADMIN-PLANNING Home

ADMIN-PLANNING  November 2007

ADMIN-PLANNING November 2007

ELQs - the Government's advice to students

Anne Robson <[log in to unmask]>

Academic, financial or space planning in UK universities

Tue, 27 Nov 2007 18:23:24 +0000

If you haven't already seen DIUS's advice to prospective students
on 'second degrees' (aka ELQs), you can see it here:

http://www.dius.gov.uk/publications/hefunding.html

There are some skilfully-crafted phrases. Try these:

'From September 2008 ... taxpayer support ... will start to be reduced.
The pace of change will be fairly slow in 2008/09 with only about £25
million being redistributed which is 0.2% of the total money we give...'

'We recognise that these changes may mean that institutions increase their
tuition fees for Second Degrees, although they are not obliged to do so.'

'The majority of students planning to [enrol] next year are still likely
to be able to find places although they will need to contact the
institution at which they are hoping to study'

'At the moment, across the whole of their education, the taxpayer
contributes about £100,000 on average to support students who get a second
degree, compared with about £55,000 for someone who leaves school at
sixteen ... it [is] hard to justify this both to taxpayers and to those
who havenít yet benefited from Higher Education and got a first degree'

I am tempted to ask whether anyone can offer a suitable 'second degree'
for the author of the statement - how about a joint honours in Maths and
Creative Writing? Any other suggestions?

Regards,
Anne

Anne Robson
Head of Planning