Re: Exchange Pieces

Sarah Cook <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 10 Oct 2007 13:36:58 +0100

hi melissa and kelsey and others,
thanks so much for your elaboration on the questions of sustaining
engagement in interactive projects. i wonder if list members could
describe practical examples of works they have presented (made or
curated) in which both feedback and momentum were considered?
i sometimes feel with works of new media art, that the feedback from
visitor input is considered, but the work can be read as a one-liner
when the piece isn't explicitly about sustaining engagement (though
this aspect of simultaneity in new media art can be quite nice, and
indeed the point of the piece, as is the case with a work of art i
saw in brussels this past weekend, buttons by sascha pohflepp that is
a digital camera which instead of presenting you with the photo you
have just taken, shows on its small screen a photo from flickr which
was taken at the exact same time). design and architecture projects,
as opposed to discrete objects or gallery based work, might indeed
demand different momentum - or rather exist on a different time
scale, as you've pointed out. i was particularly interested in the
work milkandtales have done considering the engagement of the
"passersby" -- if anyone wants to talk about that, it might tie
nicely into the discussion about to get underway at the urban screens
conference.
from sunny sunderland,
sarah