The CHAT Committee invites expressions of interest from colleagues willing to take over the role
of CHAT list moderator from 31 November 2007 are invited. The CHAT list thas 272 subscribers
from around the world. The role involves
- selecting and forwarding to the list the many announcements that we receive,
- ensuring that the list operates within the jiscmail guidelines, and
- moderating discussion, where necessary, to ensure it remains within the field of contemporary
and historical archaeology, and that traffic does not become excessive for subscribers.
In addition, the role involves various responsibilities set out by jiscmail (copied below).
All expressions of interest will be considered at the CHAT committee meeting, which takes place
at the CHAT meeting in Sheffield, 23-25 November, and the new appointment will be announced
at that meeting. Expressions of interest should be sent to [log in to unmask] - not to the list
More information: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk
Dan (who will be standing down from this role after 5 years!)
- Add and remove subscribers
- Support inexperienced list subscribers, including answering questions, providing information
such as in a welcome file and changing subscription options for members who cannot do so
- Deal with error reports. Owners should remove or track down bad email addresses which cause
errors and slow down delivery of mail to the list
- Promote and publicise the list.
- Encourage, and sometimes direct, relevant discussion. This may include dealing with subscribers
who disrupt the list in one way or another
- Monitor the list to ensure that postings are in accordance with the principles of The Data
Protection Act and take appropriate action where necessary
- Monitor the list to ensure that postings are in accordance with the list netiquette and all our
acceptable use policies and take appropriate action where necessary
- Monitor the list to ensure that postings are not in breach of copyright (e.g. postings which are
forwarded from another source without permission) and take appropriate action where necessary
contemp-hist-arch is a list for news and events
in contemporary and historical archaeology, and
for announcements relating to the CHAT conference group.
For email subscription options see:
For CHAT meetings see: