Pensions Resource

Tony Pettit <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 16 Oct 2007 10:24:40 +0100

Dear all

I am trying to ascertain the approximate ratio of pension staff to
number of pension scheme members in other universities to support my
claim for increasing staffing levels.

At the moment we operate 3 main schemes, each of which have an AVC
option, and 2 in house AVC schemes and our total number of pension
members is approximately 2700.  We operate this on a 1.6 wte and life is
becoming extremely difficult keeping on top of this number of pension
members with such a small staff.  Especially with the recent upsurge in
pension interest and most new members now coming with transfers in and
AVC inquiries.

I have made efficiency gains wherever possible but feel the time has
come to investigate increasing the number of staff in the pensions office.

I would therefore be grateful if people could respond with the pension
member numbers and pension staff employed in your institution so I can
form a comparison for.

I would also be pleased to hear if the pension staff work on issues
other than pensions, for example our pension staff also administer some
of the Colleges other employee benefits.

Any information would be provided in strictest confidence.

Many thanks in advance for your response.

Tony Pettit
Payroll & Pensions Manager