Re: 50mm kerbs in shared surfaces

Sue Pellegrino <[log in to unmask]>

Accessibuilt list <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 3 Oct 2007 11:55:50 +0100

Dear All,
We are especially concerned about this same issue due to a recent
"upgrading" of Palace Street in Canterbury, linking Northgate with the High
Street. As in Justin's case in Dover, the pavements merge with the
carriageway and are intersected by at least one joining roadway which is
especially busy. No tactile indicators have been used at all.

Additional problems include a range of new street furniture; bollards,
signs, lamp-posts and a set of new unprotected trees, all have been fitted
at different widths along the "pedestrian" area creating an obstacle course
for all users. Of course, restaurants and pubs have taken the opportunity to
use the extra wide pavements as extra customer space, so umbrellas, tables
and myriad seating have been added to the throng.

Actually, I do think there is some merit in the notion of shared
carriageways and this seems to be very popular with the people on the street
and trade is doing well but we may have to agree a means of ensuring people
can negotiate the spaces easily and be aware where the carriageway margins
are located. I understand there has been some research in Sweden and I too
am aware of the GDFB and DofT guidance but await with interest any other
ideas/concerns.
Out of interest it is Kent County Council Highways who are overseeing all 3
projects in Dover, Ashford and Canterbury but we have not had a response
from our initial enquiries last week.

Sue Pellegrino
Access Consultant

The Access Collaboration Ltd
12-17 Upper Bridge Street
Canterbury
Kent
CT1 2NF

t-  01227 781451   Tel & Voice-mail
t-  01227 781633   Tel- Fax
w- www.aclimited.net
e- [log in to unmask]

This email and any attached files are strictly confidential and intended
solely for the person or organisation to whom it is addressed.  It may
contain privileged and confidential information, within the meaning of
applicable law and if you are not the intended recipient, you must not copy,
distribute, disseminate or take any action in reliance on it. If you are not
the intended recipient, please notify us as soon as possible and delete this
email. Any part of this email which is purely personal in nature is not
authorised by the Access Collaboration Ltd.