BRITARCH September 2007

Re: Objecting to Planning Applications

Nick Boldrini <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 5 Sep 2007 08:51:54 +0100

Hi Helene

with regard to your paper, I had some thoughts about this discussion.

I think there was a conflation of two issues - the involvement of the public in research led projects, and the involvement of the public in developer led projects

They are two different beasts and you need to treat them seperately. Some issues will overlap between the two (notably H&S) but the way they are set up and run mean that how the same issues may be dealt with can and will be very different.

hope that helps

best wishes

Nick Boldrini
Historic Environment Record Officer
Heritage and Environment Section
Development and Countryside Service
Business and Environmental Services Directorate
North Yorkshire County Council
County Hall
Northallerton
DL7 8AH
Direct Dial (01609) 532331

Conserving North Yorkshire's heritage - encouraging sustainable access
www.northyorks.gov.uk/archaeology
Please consider the environment - do you really need to print this email?

This email is personal. It is not authorised by or sent on behalf of North Yorkshire
County Council, however, the Council has the right and does inspect emails sent from
and to its computer system. This email is the sole responsibility of the sender

>>> Helene McNeill <[log in to unmask]> 03/09/2007 17:10 >>>
<SNIP>

**PS: An on list friend has told me that I am well-intentioned enough
and thinking in the right direction, but am not informed enough on
ppg16 issues and all that heritage folks have been doing of late to
counter it. He says that I shouldn't accuse other like-minded
archaeologists of being complacent, but instead look into what has
been accomplished. He referred to:  RESCUE, the Planning White Paper,
Power of Place and Force for our Future, and others. He is right. I
know about these, but not enough, so I'm going to stay offline for
awhile so I can research more (and finish my paper).

My sincere apologies to any archaeologist I have accused of being
complacent in finding ways to protect our heritage assets in the face
of ever increasing profit-led archaeological decimation (did I say,
'filthy?'). I will learn more about the efforts that have been made
and should not have presumed that the Heritage industry's present
failure in this is for lack of trying.   ---Helene

On Sep 3, 2007, at 5:32 AM, Tim P wrote:

> Maybe off topic, but related, I guess.
>
> In July we had news that the Victorian Electricity Works opposite
> us were being developed into two 5 storey blocks for 145 apartments.
>
> This morning, we find out another 13 apartments are proposed for
> another derelict business opposite.
>
> We alreadly struggle to park outside our house with folk using the
> road as a free car park to get to the town centre, 2 minutes away.
>
> With 145 apartments (what's that, 300 people maybe, with a vehicle
> each), and then this, the parking and the road will be awful. It's
> a busy through route, and on weekday mornings can be congested.
>
> How does one object to a planning application (not having had this
> sort of thing happen before).
>
> Replies greatly received,
>
> thanks
>
> Tim.

WARNING

This E-mail and any attachments may contain information that is confidential or privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the named recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, please be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken is prohibited and may be unlawful.

Any opinions expressed are those of the author and not necessarily the view of the Council.

North Yorkshire County Council.