DC-EDUCATION  August 2007

DC-EDUCATION August 2007

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: DC-Education Application Profile: update + feedback requested

Stuart Sutton <[log in to unmask]>

Stuart Sutton <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 13 Aug 2007 07:51:19 -0700

text/plain

Andy, part of our problem (I think) leading up to your comment is the
AP's lack of a application model similar to that of the e-prints and
collection description APs.  Of course an educaitonal resource (I, too,
am avoiding use of "learning object" because it has been used so
variously and in hugely conflicting ways) has various agents associated
with it.  And, in fact, one of the points for dicussion up on the wiki
is the standard correlation object -- a quite separate entity (see the
example description set at the bottom of the disussion--
http://dublincore.org/educationwiki/Correlation_20Resource).

Now, the reason I think we have been somewhat stalled in stating a
application model is the fact that the DC-Ed AP is being conceived of in
a somewhat different way from the e-prints, collection description APs.
In the DC-AP, we are wanting to describe use _only_ of those properties
that distinguish an educational resource from any other--thus the mere
handful of properties of interest (audience, conformsTo, educationLevel,
instructionalMethods, and mediator).  So, unlike the e-prints and
collection description APs, we are quite agnostic about how an
application uses title, and publisher etc. etc. etc.  What we'd like to
do is create an AP _module_ that can be wed to other APs when those APs
run across an educational resource.  This component nature of the AP,
has been conceptually problematic.  Is it really an application profile
as that beast has been emerging in the DC community?  Or is it just a
set of "best practice" instructions for a handful of properties for use
by other APs?

Anyway, while I cannot speak for the community, the DC-Ed AP work is far
from complete and this notion of a module AP is far from cooked.

Stuart

Stuart A. Sutton, Associate Professor
The Information School Research Commons
University of Washington