Re: A refusal to mourn ...

Mark Weiss <[log in to unmask]>

Poetryetc: poetry and poetics

Sat, 25 Aug 2007 12:32:29 -0400

text/plain

There's no clean dichotomy possible here. For instance, to read
anything at all distant from us we have to make sure we know what the
words mean/meant, unless we want to impose on the work the exoticism
of ignorance (as in te extreme case of homophonic translation). And
words are never merely denotative. So, if the poem captivates us and
we become increasingly interested in the mystery inherent in it (as
opposed to the mystery of our own incomprehension) we start
digging.  The mystery remains, but becomes if anything more
mysterious with increased comprehension. In Thomas' case, one's
discovery of the blitz only deepens the poem, as does an awareness of
his very public acknowledgement of Marvell. And this latter is I
think unavoidable, given Thomas' determined archaism, if one has read
any baroque poetry.

When I was at Johns Hopkins I took a course on the Romantic Poets
with Earl Wasserman. A very unpleasant man, but a great reader. What
he gave me was an understanding that some of the words had changed
meaning, and that some of them were terms in a philosophical debate
about the nature of perception, unrecognizable to us now.  I owe my
love of Wordsworth to Wasserman, and my love of Coleridge was
deepened enormously.

Reading is a dynamic process (has someone said that before?), and
what we bring to it as readers becomes a part of our own history and
the poem's history for us. Otherwise it's static, an object, pretty
sounds. But the poem also brings something to us--if it's not to
remain words sitting on a shelf to be admired, it demands of us, if
it works, that we understand the words more deeply, and that leads
inevitably to context. One becomes interested in how it meant for its
primary audience.

Maybe. The adolescent's more innocent and sometimes mistaken reading
is a perfectly ok reading, and can stimulate all kinds of rare
growth. Come back to the poem--any poem--twenty years later and it's
another ok reading.

Try this: we don't need to know how old Sophocles was when he wrote
the Oedipus at Colonus, but it's changed for us if we read it in old
age. And it doesn't hurt to know about the disaster of the
Pelloponesian War. But I loved the play when I read it at 15.

Or are we promoting an aestheticist stance, by which the work of art
is uniquely separate from everything else?

"It's up to the poet as to how much referential buttressing the poem
gets" sounds like a neat trick. The poet somehow limits our
understanding or interest in context, his and ours. An impossibility, I think.

Isn't this a version of the "intentional fallacy?" Itself a pretty
limited concept. The poet's "intention" is of course unknowable,
despite even a perfect knowledge of context, but one can certainly
posit an "intentional field," into which not all ideas about the poem
are admitted.

Mark