Help for NEW-MEDIA-CURATING Archives

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING Archives

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING Home

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING  August 2007

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING August 2007

CINEMA in TRANSIT lecture series // ARGOS Brussels

"Stoffel Debuysere @ argos" <[log in to unmask]>

Stoffel Debuysere @ argos

Tue, 21 Aug 2007 22:59:20 +0200

ARGOS, centre for Art & Media, Brussels, presents:

Cinema in Transit
LECTURE SERIES

What does ‘Cinema’ mean today? In the aftermath of its one hundredth
birthday the cinema regime seems to be expanding further and further,
split up over countless media and modalities, based on wide-ranging
technologies and motives. Now that the analogue image is being
quickly replaced by the digital one, beyond the materiality of video
and film, more is being produced and distributed than ever before,
but at the same time the way we watch, listen and experience cinema
is being severely fragmented and individualized. Cinema no longer
holds a specific place of its own; it is everywhere, intertwined with
and integrated into other cultural forms. Within that context we
today witness a significant renewal in the ways of approaching cinema
and the audiovisual arts, not only in the work of a great number of
artists, but also on an institutional level. The familiar opposition
between the ‘black box’ and the ‘white cube’, between cinema culture
and museum culture, can no longer be sustained, and the call for new
models resounds more and more. What kind of shifts in meaning do
these evolutions and contaminations entail in the way we look at and
reflect on art and film? Do visual arts provide filmmakers with a
free zone, where they can finally fulfil their most radical promises,
or is it more like a transit zone, an intermediate stage in the re-
thinking of the cinema project?

Fri 12.10.2007 20:30: Philippe-Alain Michaud

Fri 19.10.2007 20:30: Mark Nash

Fri 26.10.2007 20:30: Laura Mulvey

Fri 02.11.2007 20:30: Peter Weibel

Fri 09.11.2007 20:30: Jean-Christophe Royoux

This and much more in the context of the OPEN ARCHIVE #1 festival at
ARGOS (29.09.07 - 10.11.07).
Event program composed by Stoffel Debuysere.

www.argosarts.org
mail: [log in to unmask]
skype: stoffeldebuysere
phone: +32 2 229 00 03