Help for MCG Archives

MCG Archives

MCG@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

MCG Home

MCG  August 2007

MCG August 2007

Re: Image Management Policies & Procedures

"Howell, Alan" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 17 Aug 2007 15:46:24 +0100

I think the reason I've been putting off doing this (i.e. write IM policies) for more years than I care to admit is partly due to how difficult it is to write any kind of 'one size fits all' documentation. Inevitably this will develop into a portfolio of 'stuff' which will have a great danger of just being abandoned on a shelf in favour of more pragmatic, day to day decisions.

I've been very interested in the idea of embedded metadata for some time now and Naomi's phrase "there is an intrinsic need to ensure that licence terms travel with each piece of content" fits well with this concept. I have been using the BAPLA metadata panel (available free from a related website http://www.pbf.org.uk/ezineagm/metadata.html) within Photoshop to add metadata to all my newly created images for the last year or so. In particular I've been embedding a standard statement in the 'rights & restrictions' element which reads, "May be freely used for personal study and reference. No commercial use or onward distribution or posting on websites without prior agreement." Obviously if this doesn't apply, for whatever reason, then an alternative message is used. It is worrying, however, how easy it is to remove or alter such metadata...

Alan

This e-mail (including attachments) may contain sensitive and/or privileged information.  If received in error, its use by you is not authorised and may be unlawful. Please notify the sender and delete all copies immediately.  E-mails may be subject to error, interference and virus and no liability is accepted for loss or damage however it arises and whether direct or indirect. Service of legal proceedings by e-mail may not be accepted.

E-mails may be monitored for compliance purposes. All documents are subject to copyright.