FSL August 2007

Re: Problem with tbss_2 (again)

Steve Smith <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 10 Aug 2007 17:51:57 +0100

Hi,

The option to do it the old way is still there - however, raw
diffusion data is considerably coarser and noisier in general than
the new template that we are providing, so I would expect that it is
often better to use our template. In practice we have found that it
makes little difference either way for reasonable quality data, the
main difference then being that if you have more than about 15
subjects the total registration time is a lot lower with the new
template as you only have Nx5hrs instead of NxNx20mins.

Cheers, Steve.

On 10 Aug 2007, at 09:13, William Baaré wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> Would it not still be preferable (although more time intensive) to
> find the target among one's own data? This way one is sure to
> capture all kind of site specific scanner characteristics such as
> fx spatial distortions due to B0 inhomogeneities and non-
> linearities in the gradient system of the scanner (the latter can
> be quite significant at higher field strengths).
>
> cheers
>
> William
>

> Steve Smith wrote:
>> Hi - yes, in the new release we're using IRTK with the same
>> settings. The difference in the registration is that the
>> recommendation is to use FMRIB58_FA as the target directly.
>> Cheers.
>> On 9 Aug 2007, at 17:19, Ged Ridgway wrote:
>>> Hi Steve,
>>>
>>> Will the new release (which, like everyone here, I'm very much
>>> looking forward to) still ship with Daniel Rueckert's ITRK stuff?
>>> And if so, with the same nreg parameter file etc? I.e. is it just
>>> the TBSS method/target which has changed, or the non-rigid reg
>>> software itself?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Ged

>> ------
>> Stephen M. Smith, Professor of Biomedical Engineering
>> Associate Director,  Oxford University FMRIB Centre
>> FMRIB, JR Hospital, Headington, Oxford  OX3 9DU, UK
>> +44 (0) 1865 222726  (fax 222717)
>> [log in to unmask]    http://www.fmrib.ox.ac.uk/~steve
>> ------

---