COMMUNITYPSYCHUK  August 2007

COMMUNITYPSYCHUK August 2007

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Community psychology and climate change - how can it h elp?

Mark Burton <[log in to unmask]>

The UK Community Psychology Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 22 Aug 2007 09:27:09 +0100

text/plain

Paul wrote: "For me the central issues of concern are the disasterous
consequences of unrestrained, free-market capitalism,.."
Yes, capitalism creates its own contradictions - the problem is that this
one, the ecological limits of the planet will not be resolvable through
expansion into new arenas, new forms of oppression, new technology
(although we wil see all these things).  Moreover, the precautionary
principle so fundamental to ecological thinking should take precedence
over any notion that the jury is still out on whether climate change is
happening.
In positive terms we can also use the contradiction, the reaching of the
limit in constructing alternatives to destructive capitalism.  Now that's
community psychology.