BoneCommons is back online!

Sarah E W Kansa <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 9 Jul 2007 23:23:45 -0700

Dear Zooarchers,

I am happy to report that BoneCommons is now up and running again. The site
suffered an attack and someone scattered malicious "trojan horse" code
throughout the system. This code was inserted through a security flaw in the
WordPress weblog software that runs on our server. The weblog software has
been fixed. The trojan horse was an "iframe attack", that likely inserted
code to "listen" for passwords. This was an attack on *our server*, and was
likely attempting to gain information about our users. It is NOT a virus
that infects your own computer or data and files on your computer. This same
attack has been widespread, occurring on websites worldwide (it affected up
to 10,000 websites in Italy, for example). If you want more information,
check out:
http://www.softpanorama.org/Malware/Malicious_web/malicious_iframe_attack.sh
tml

The good news is that we were able to get rid of all the bad code. The bad
news is that you should take a moment to think about your BoneCommons
password. If you use the same password for other online resources
(especially anything financially related), you should probably change your
password on those more sensitive sites.

Thank you for your patience and please feel free to resume use of
BoneCommons. We are investigating ways of making this resource less
vulnerable (forums are typically more vulnerable than other social software
systems).

All the best,
Sarah

BoneCommons, Editor