MCG July 2007

Re: Facebook

David Salmon <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 2 Jul 2007 15:08:00 +0000

Thanks Mia,

I agree that in terms of sustainability and content we have to look long
term. ALso I am aware of non-museum organisations that are having to employ
people on a part-time basis simply to manage their Facebook accounts. The
expectations of the user wanting an instant reply to any query/wall post (I
am particularly impatient myself) means that if you don't reply to a user
within a few hours then you may never see or hear from them again.

"Will you still maintain an account with Facebook when the next social
networking site becomes the most popular?"

I think this is an interesting issue as the trend-driven nature of sites
such as Facebook and Myspace does pose questions surrounding the long term
upkeep of an account on such sites. Whilst it may be a good profile raiser
in the short-term (so long as there are enough time and staff resources to
maintain the site and let it grow) will it be of benefit this time next
year, say?

Your point about the pictures is also interesting as these would have to be
uploaded, put in the correct album etc. One exciting thing would be the
tagging of images and pictures from such diverse collections across the
country, which would be very interesting to encourage.

Many thanks,

David