MCG July 2007

Fw: Sharing market research

Matthew Cock <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 6 Jul 2007 09:03:23 +0100

On the subject of Second Life, please see below from a curator in our Coins and Medals department. I'm sure Katie can take the comment about anoraky nerds on the chin, David!
Matthew

Head of Web | Department of Learning and Audiences | The British Museum | thebritishmuseum.ac.uk
tel: 020 7323 8169 | work mobile: 07971 433841

-----Original Message-----
From: Catherine Eagleton
To: Matthew Cock
Sent: Fri Jul 06 08:34:29 2007
Subject: RE: Sharing market research

Yes - I'm doing some work in SL at the moment on how to collect Linden dollars, which will later probably extend to other online / gaming currencies. The BM collects toy money already, so this is a natural extension of that. Linden dollars and QQ Coin (mainly in China) are interesting, because they can be exchanged for "real" money, and because of the discussions about whether to regulate them or to tax virtual profits. At the moment I'm concentrating on SL, doing what I guess you could call online anthropology, and taking screen shots of interesting places, things, and people. The next step will be to start to work out how to collect Linden dollars, which as far as I can tell at the moment don't have any actual manifestation in SL, so if anyone on the MCG has any ideas, I'd be interested (in SL I'm Cate Zenovka).

Katie E