MCG July 2007

Re: Facebook

Peter Davies <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 3 Jul 2007 09:24:01 +0100

Hi all, this is a really interesting thread, and something I'm just
starting to become interested in myself.

In a project we are just about to be running with teenagers, we are
playing about with the idea of using something like Facebook.  The
reasons behind this are similar, but not the same, as below.  Yes we
want to engage with teenagers on a platform they use and understand, and
something that can be accessed remotely to the museum, but the main
reason I want to use something like this is that these are 'social
networking sites.'

What better way to advocate the service to a large and distanced
audience, such as teenagers, than to have them act as the advocates!  My
idea is simple, that the small group of teenagers I am working with over
the summer all have a facebook account, they start a group which is
formed of themselves, and they can add images (of the museum and objects
if they wish), and their thoughts, reasons, ideas etc on these, and also
mingle them with 'non-museum' images about themselves and their lives.
Basically explaining what being a teenager in canterbury in 2007 is
like.

The theory behind this is that there isn't a 'museum hand' controlling
what they write or say, and so the teenagers can advocate the service in
their own words to their own peers.  This to me is a much better way of
running a site like this, it then lives for the duration it should live,
and doesn't suffer 'ditching and moving' resentment when the next big
thing comes along, because it isn't run by us, it's run by them.  By
allowing them to add the images to the site, they choose what they like
and generate the debate and idea flow around that.

In this way I'd hope we would gain the benefits of it, but by empowering
the young people we work with, rather than some kind of obvious
band-wagon jumping exercise on our part, which as was pointed out below,
would have people join a group, but never know if they ever turn up
again, or, even worse, turns out to be all us lot subscribing to each
others' groups!

Peter

Peter Davies
Outreach Officer (City Museums)
tel: 01227 475 203
email: [log in to unmask]
website: www.favourite-things.org.uk

England will be smokefree from 1st July 2007. For more information ring 0800 169 169 7 or for local advice contact our team at [log in to unmask]
DISCLAIMER:
This email and any files transmitted with it may contain privileged or confidential information. It is intended solely for the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient please destroy or delete the content of this message immediately and notify the sender by reply email. Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that does not relate to the official business of Canterbury City Council shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by the Council.

This message has been checked for all known viruses.