ARCHAEOBOTANY  July 2007

ARCHAEOBOTANY July 2007

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

AW: TBA Hallstatt: Lightning tapers - Kienspäne

Nicole Boenke <[log in to unmask]>

The archaeobotany mailing list <[log in to unmask]>, Nicole Boenke <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 23 Jul 2007 08:25:36 +0200

text/plain

Dear Bea , Dear Niels

We also can confirm your observation on salt preserved Material. Cheapest
and best preservation for organic materials from salt mines is no
conservation. At Dürrnberg/Hallein, Austria I examined some thousands of
wooden objects and even small seeds and fruit remains from faeces, which
stay well preserved only because of the high content of salt. Even after
short a time of washing or watering the objects they still contain salt. It
needs a longer time in the rain/under the shower to remove it completely. So
a moderate humidity shouldn’t be a problem.
At the moment it is tried to store some timbers from a wet preservation site
in not used mine shafts of the modern salt mine to avert the decay of the
wood. But of course there are no long term observations until know. And for
sure not everywhere a salt mine is available : )

One small comment concerning the so called  “Kienspäne”. I was very
surprised when I started the wood analysis on the Dürrnberg material several
years ago. In opposite to the etymological origin of the word Kienspäne
which Niels already described (Kienspäne = lightning tapers from Pinus),
none of the ancient lightning tapers had been made from Pinus. The Iron age
people used Abies alba and Picea abies/Larix decidua over there. Pinus is
not very common in the local vegetation.

Best wishes
Nicole

Nicole Boenke M.A.
Archäologische&Archäobotanische Untersuchungen
Herawies 42
A-6723 Blons

0043 (0)5553 21426