SPACESYNTAX June 2007

Re: What is a city

Alain Chiaradia <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 4 Jun 2007 20:56:56 +0100

Rui

Defining city boundaries is a question that is not only dealt by population density threshold - one wishes that it would be that simple. With suburban sprawl the merging of rural and suburban and urban make it very difficult to say where a city stops.

Conurbation definition, aire urbaine, in France take into account how far apart are the building (less than 200m), how many people that are resident in an area are actually working (40% and more)in the conurbation which must have at least 5000 jobs - an urban pole. An urban area is made of several urban pole - i.e. polycentric city.

It is all very relational and not just an attribute like density threshold.

In France an aire urbaine (literally: "urban area") is roughly the equivalent of a US Metropolitan Statistical Area. The name is extremely confusing because in English an "urban area" is not the same thing as a "metropolitan area". In English an urban area is a contiguously built-up area, which is smaller than a metropolitan area. Despite its name, a French aire urbaine is indeed a metropolitan area.

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aire_urbaine_%28France%29 give an idea of what it look like for Nantes.

A distribution is given so you can reflect on the best fitting function.

Alain

From: Rui Carvalho [
Sent: 03 June 2007 10:02
Subject: Re: What is a street?

Hello Stephen,

It seems to me that a city can be defined by population density? It is no
longer a city below a certain population density threshold?

Surely we'd have to agree on the threshold value (which is an arbitrary
parameter), but at least there is only one arbitrary parameter to agree
on, so it doesn't seem too problematic to me?

now a street...

Rui

On Sat, 2 Jun 2007 19:20:39 +0100, Stephen Marshall <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>I still think it all depends on the purpose of
>what you are analysing, and the conclusions you
>intend to draw from the analysis.
>
>You could define and analyse
>- the public street network (as defined legally)
>- this may include 'fat' named spaces such as
>squares - for example in UK traffic regulation
>orders would typically include a combination of
>the named street/square and the physical extent
>(e.g. running from a to b) where the entity so defined need not be linear;
>- all private networks that are publicly
>accessible (with all the ramps and yards and royal parks)
>- all the private sections that are not publicly accessible;
>and
>- all named streets / addresses (including courtyards, housing estates,
etc.)
>- all axial lines
>- all numbered roads, etc.
>...and measure properties of each of these
>netowrks individually and in combination and get
>different numbers, that will tell you different things.
>
>The problem of comparability of networks across
>cultures would seem no more or less difficult
>than the problem of comparing anything, for
>example, cities. (If comparing London Paris
>Brasilia, etc., how do you decide what to count as consituting the city?).
>
>(What is a city?)
>
>stephen
>

>At 12:12 02/06/2007, you wrote:
>>We should not be interested in the LEGAL STATUS
>>of places but whether or not there is actual
>>PRIVATE PHYSICAL CONTROL over their access at
>>any time. If there is, sorry, they are out of
>>the analysis AS PUBLIC PLACES, no matter that
>>thousands of people love to interact WITHIN
>>shopping centres or any other kind of
>>"non-places" (Auge) - very typical of present day societies by the way.
>>
>>If encounters in a particular society happen
>>predominantly in private spaces, this is indeed
>>a cultural trait that has to be taken into
>>account, but this is another matter altogether,
>>it has nothing to do with the study of the
>>structure of the public realm, and the study of the street belongs here.
>>
>>Sorry, syntax again...
>>
>>Fred
>>

>>Frederico de Holanda
>>
>>Cond. Vivendas Colorado 1, Mod. J, Casa 1
>>73070-015  Brasília  DF
>>Brasil
>>
>>Fone / Phone: (0xx61) 34859641  /  +556134859641
>>Celular / Mobile: (0xx61) 99861724  /  +556199861724

<http://www.flickr.com/photos/lucasfigueiredo/>http://www.flickr.com/photos
/lucasfigueiredo/