JiscMail Logo
Email discussion lists for the UK Education and Research communities

Help for DC-USAGE Archives


DC-USAGE Archives

DC-USAGE Archives


DC-USAGE@JISCMAIL.AC.UK


View:

Message:

[

First

|

Previous

|

Next

|

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

|

Previous

|

Next

|

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

|

Previous

|

Next

|

Last

]

Font:

Proportional Font

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

DC-USAGE Home

DC-USAGE Home

DC-USAGE  June 2007

DC-USAGE June 2007

Options

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Log In

Get Password

Get Password

Subject:

DCMI Usage Board - 2007-06-18 telecon - report

From:

Thomas Baker <[log in to unmask]>

Reply-To:

A mailing list for the Dublin Core Metadata Initiative's Usage Board <[log in to unmask]>

Date:

Mon, 18 Jun 2007 16:37:01 +0200

Content-Type:

text/plain

Parts/Attachments:

Parts/Attachments

text/plain (180 lines)

DCMI Usage Board - 2007-06-18 telecon - report

Participants: Tom, Akira, Diane, Stuart, Joe

-- NEW ACTIONS

   ACTION 2007-06-18: All to comment between June 18 and
   June 29 on http://dublincore.org/usageboardwiki/CollectionsProfileReview
   and http://dublincore.org/usageboardwiki/CollectionsProfileReviewTb --
   goal is to add bullet points under "Comments" summarizing issues arising
   during UB review.

   ACTION 2007-06-18: Tom to re-circulate discussion materials on the 
   future of the Usage Board.

   ACTION 2007-06-18: Diane to circulate a link to OLAC Application Profile.
   Diane and Stuart to investigate preliminary review of Education profile.

-- Review of Collections profile (Andrew)

   Compare to:
   -- http://dublincore.org/usageboardwiki/CollectionsProfileReviewNotes

   ACTION 2007-06-08: Andrew to lead discussion
   of Collections Application Profile review draft
   http://dublincore.org/usageboardwiki/CollectionsProfileReview
   for discussion on the next telecon.

-- Application profile review generally

   Revise http://dublincore.org/usageboardwiki/ProfileReviewCriteria ?
   In light of: http://dublincore.org/usageboardwiki/CollectionsProfileReviewNotes

   ACTION 2007-06-08: Joe to edit ProfileReviewCriteria.

-- Changes to terms of the DCTERMS namespace
   -- decisions taken in Barcelona (= changes to be reflected in proposal)
      http://dublincore.org/usageboardwiki/DCTermsChangesActions
   -- proposal to be prepared for Public Comment, 2-30 July (Tom)
      http://dublincore.org/usageboardwiki/DCTermsChanges

   ACTION 2007-06-08: Diane to shepherd discussion of this in Singapore.

-- SES and VES clarification
   http://dublincore.org/usage/meetings/2007/03/barcelona/Encoding-schemes.txt

   AGREED: We need a deeper level of description and
   differentiation between VES and SES, including definitions.
   If you have a something already, how do you tell if it is
   VES or SES.  If an Encoding Scheme tells you what a value
   string it it's a SES.  If Encoding Scheme defines a class
   of values, then it is a VES (e.g., concepts).  For example,
   if you develop a list of educational levels, and if you
   define a list of strings, then you're defining an SES.
   If you define a set of concepts and assign URIs to them (as
   best practice), then you're defining a VES.  Best practice
   in this scenario is to define a set of concepts with URIs
   rather than a set of strings.  Agreed that DC-Education
   is a great test-bed for these concepts.  SES is a datatype
   in RDF.  VES is like conceptScheme in SKOS, only not limited
   to concepts.  For discussion: VES is a set of concepts that,
   once in metadata, allows editors to handle assertion by
   adding things to it.  SES is a set of strings.

   ACTION 2007-03-17: Stuart and Joe to write a one-page
   explanation differentiating VES and SES, vet with Pete
   Johnston, and consider revisions to the Term Decision Tree:
   http://dublincore.org/architecturewiki/TermDecisionTree.
   (Note: the difference is basically String vs. Thing.)

   ACTION 2007-03-17: Joe will draft a document discussing
   issues related to principles and purpose of UB decision-making.
   Joe will work with Stuart on this (2007-06-08).

-- Domains and ranges
   Proposal: http://dublincore.org/documents/2007/02/05/domain-range/

   ACTION 2007-03-17: Domains and Ranges
   vocabulary to be finalized for Public Comment.
   Barcelona decisions are described in
   http://dublincore.org/usageboardwiki/DomainsActions

   ACTION 2007-03-17: (for lack of volunteers, by default
   Tom): write a proposal capturing the issue of string,
   unspecified, and thing for the problematic DCTERMS
   properties (title and its subproperties, date and its
   subproperties, and description and its subproperties).
   Taking the following position:
   1. Title and its subproperties as literals [check notes]
   2. Date and its subproperties as literals 
   3. Description and its subproperties as range = rdfs:resource
   Then send this proposal out for public comment.  There
   are two audiences for this comment: (1) multiple script
   communities and (2) SW community asking: best practice for
   unspecified ranges.  Note that we will use the non-literal
   resource in all cases where the domain of our properities
   is listed as rdfs:resource (in the proposal).

   ACTION 2007-03-18: Diane to define language - see
   http://dublincore.org/usageboardwiki/DomainsActions

   ACTION 2007-03-18: Andy to add a new class of non-literal
   resource to the wiki, use as domain and range as
   appropriate.

-- Process
   http://dublincore.org/usage/documents/process/
   http://dublincore.org/usage/meetings/2007/03/barcelona/Process_Doc_Revisions.txt

   ACTION 2007-06-08: Tom to fold revisions into document and
   forward to Makx.

-- Future of Usage Board

-- Singapore agenda
   -- DCTERMS changes - finalization after July public comment
   -- Domains and ranges - finalization after July public comment?
   -- VES and SES
   -- Application profile review?
   -- Process?

-- Legacy documentation dependent on model

   Revisions to RDF schemas in light of DCAM - a Usage Board issue?

   ACTION 2006-10-01: Tom to replace the Principles
   document at http://dublincore.org/usage/documents/principles/
   with a page that copies the definitions of elements etc from
   DCAM and includes a short text stating: that the document which
   used to live here has been superseded by the DCAM. Update UB
   page to say we do things in light of the DCAM.
   
   ACTION 2006-10-01: Tom to look through DCMI site
   and note those pages where a reference to the principles
   document needs to be changed to a reference to the DCAM
   as appropriate.

   ACTION 2007-03-17: Tom to write a paragraph
   about placing undeclared legacy DCTERMS classes
   (SubjectScheme, etc, p.64) into historical context -
   http://dublincore.org/usage/meetings/2007/03/barcelona/SubjectScheme.txt

-- Next telecons - how many do we need?

   Mon Jun 18 - finalize Collections profile review
   Fri Jun 29 - prepare public comment
   Fri Jul  6

   Time: 0600 Seattle
         0900 New York
         1300 UTC
         1400 London
         1500 Berlin
         2200 Tokyo
         2300 Sydney

   Target: finalize meeting packet by August 17 (one
   week before Singapore meeting).

---

Dialing instructions 
(http://dublincore.org/usageboardwiki/DialingInstructions):
     1) Dial: local country number
        -- UK        0800-032-0634
        -- Germany   0800-181-2311
        -- Australia 1800-006-458
        -- Sweden    020-792-635
        -- Japan     00531-13-0842 "KDD Only"
        -- US        skip this step...
     2) You hear: "Welcome... Please enter your 10-digit..."
        Type: 888-448-7101#
     3) You hear: "Please enter..."
        Type:     764-6081#


-- 
Dr. Thomas Baker <[log in to unmask]>
Director, Specifications and Documentation
Dublin Core Metadata Initiative

Top of Message | Previous Page | Permalink

JISCMail Tools


RSS Feeds and Sharing


Advanced Options


Archives

April 2014
February 2014
June 2012
May 2012
April 2012
September 2011
May 2011
March 2011
February 2011
January 2011
October 2010
September 2010
August 2010
June 2010
May 2010
March 2010
February 2010
January 2010
December 2009
November 2009
October 2009
September 2009
August 2009
July 2009
June 2009
May 2009
April 2009
March 2009
February 2009
January 2009
December 2008
November 2008
October 2008
September 2008
August 2008
July 2008
June 2008
May 2008
April 2008
March 2008
February 2008
January 2008
December 2007
November 2007
October 2007
September 2007
August 2007
July 2007
June 2007
May 2007
April 2007
March 2007
February 2007
January 2007
December 2006
November 2006
October 2006
September 2006
August 2006
July 2006
June 2006
May 2006
April 2006
March 2006
February 2006
January 2006
December 2005
October 2005
September 2005
August 2005
July 2005
June 2005
May 2005
April 2005
March 2005
February 2005
January 2005
December 2004
November 2004
October 2004
September 2004
August 2004
July 2004
June 2004
May 2004
April 2004
March 2004
February 2004
January 2004
December 2003
November 2003
October 2003
September 2003
August 2003
July 2003
June 2003
May 2003
April 2003
March 2003
February 2003
January 2003
December 2002
November 2002
October 2002
September 2002
August 2002
July 2002
June 2002
May 2002
April 2002
March 2002
February 2002
January 2002
December 2001
November 2001
October 2001
September 2001
August 2001
July 2001
June 2001
May 2001
December 2000
September 2000
August 2000
June 2000
May 2000
April 2000
March 2000
February 2000
January 2000
December 1999
November 1999


WWW.JISCMAIL.AC.UK

Secured by F-Secure Anti-Virus CataList Email List Search Powered by the LISTSERV Email List Manager