Help for NEW-MEDIA-CURATING Archives

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING Archives

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING Home

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING  June 2007

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING June 2007

Re: Lost in translation (was Re: [NEW-MEDIA-CURATING] distribution versus delivery / curating time-based works)

Chris Byrne <[log in to unmask]>

Chris Byrne <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 22 Jun 2007 12:59:11 +0100

(SFX of an old thread being exhumed...)

I think there are some issues here about the nuances of terminology
and context.

Parreno classifies this as a "group show", not a theatrical
performance, happening, intervention, whatever. He (presumably
ironically) refers to "my notion of ‘postman time’" as representing
the form of 'delivery' which the show takes, hence the title "Il
Tempo del Postino".

We can all agree (and presumably Parreno and Obrist would too) that
performance art has a rich history. Perhaps we can say too that
‘postman time’ is not necessarily an innovative concept. But as a way
of packaging for a general audience some visual artists into a show
where tickets need to be sold, maybe it's not so bad. It's part of a
much larger festival, mainly of performing arts, which is aiming to
rival mainstream events like the Edinburgh Festival. If they had
billed this event as performance art or live art, I wonder if it
would have attracted such attention? Whatever we may feel about the
originality or otherwise of the curatorial premise, it's certainly a
bit more challenging for punters than the usual operatic fare served
up at the venue...

Also I note that they seem to have set a condition of NO film or
video, though musical scores are okay. As a set of constraints for
artists to work around, it's reasonably interesting. I won't be able
to see "Il Tempo del Postino", but if anyone on the list does please
tell us what the experience is like.

Oh, and did anybody actually enjoy "Zidane – a 21st Century
Portrait", Parreno's previous project of note? There is a rather
ascerbic critique of this piece (in German only unfortunately) in
Spike art quarterly, '„Zidane“ als second BEST':
http://spikeart.at/index.php?
option=com_magazine&func=show_far_article&id=272&itemid=11&lang=en

Chris