Help for COMP-FORTRAN-90 Archives

COMP-FORTRAN-90 Archives

COMP-FORTRAN-90@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

COMP-FORTRAN-90 Home

COMP-FORTRAN-90  June 2007

COMP-FORTRAN-90 June 2007

Re: Skipping record in sequential unformatted I/O

Dan Nagle <[log in to unmask]>

Fortran 90 List <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 22 Jun 2007 20:53:56 -0400

Hello,

Aleksandar Donev wrote:
> On Friday 22 June 2007 15:26, Bill Long wrote:
>
>> The number of bytes required by the input variable list is allowed to be
>> smaller than the size of the record.
> OK, that's nice. From what Dan said I can also just read a blank record (no
> items). MRC book says that "on input, the type and type parameters of each
> entity in the list must agree with those of the value in the record..."
> Character strings may be, as usual, an exception (like COMPLEX is)?

Hint: What about entities that *aren't* on the list?
Must they agree with anything?

> Dan added:
>
>> If sequential, read a record.  If direct, increment the record number.
> It is sequential...what I wan't sure is what kind of record to read (see above
> about matching types etc.)---I don't know the length of the string written to
> that record.

Why do you want to know the length?

>> BTW, the "usual" implementation for unformatted sequential access
>> is to store the record length before and after the record itself.
> But it is not possible for a user to find out the length? I guess I could try
> reading more and more characters into an array until the I/O statement fails?
> If it is in the file, it seems a pity to me not to be able to read it
> directly :-\

Hint: What does read( unit) do?

Good grief, Alek, this is a one-line test!

--

Dan Nagle
Purple Sage Computing Solutions, Inc.