PSCI-COM@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

PSCI-COM Home

PSCI-COM  May 2007

PSCI-COM May 2007

Re: bizarre experiments

josh nall <[log in to unmask]>

psci-com: on public engagement with science

Sat, 12 May 2007 20:03:34 +0100

The people over at Improbable Research (the minds
behind the Ignobel Prize) have a quite massive
catalogue of odd experiments (enough to warrant their
own magazine):

http://www.improbable.com/

A personal favourite is 'Feline Reactions to Bearded
Men':
http://www.improbable.com/airchives/classical/cat/cat.html

If you look at the bibliography, it would appear that
this is a thriving field of research.

I should also add that, if you haven't already, you
should read Collins and Pinch's excellent study of the
flatworm experiments:

"Edible Knowledge: The Chemical Transfer of Memory"

It is the first chapter in their book 'The Golem', and
is a very clear exposition of the drawn out
controversy that surrounded these experiments.

Josh Nall