** Apologies for cross-postings **
If you work with pictures or digital images of any sort, why not come along
Image Management in Bio and Environmental Sciences: New Directions
a training course in the popular UK e-Information Group (UKeiG) series, to
be held in conjunction with IAALD at the John Rylands University Library,
University of Manchester, on Thurs 31 May, 0930-1630. Some places still
available - book online at:
or contact Christine Baker:
Tel & Fax: 01969 625751
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
The course takes examples from the bio- and environmental sciences, but is
still applicable to those in other subject areas - all will be welcome!
- Locating sources: what to look for and where to look
- Digital libraries and repositories: cross searching effectively
- Embedded images: searching within documents
- Metadata content and ontologies: requirements for effective retrieval
- Rights issues and commercial factors
- Storage and preservation: short- and long-term issues
- Using images in teaching and learning: the role of the information
- Digitising Linnaeus: developing global access to taxonomic collections
- Image Bioinformatics: developing new tools
- The impact of web 2.0 technologies: salvation or hype?
The day will include plenty of time for discussion and questions, and aims
to share experience and float ideas in areas where there are as yet no
Lunch and refreshments are included.
We look forward to seeing you in Manchester!