JISC-SHIBBOLETH@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

JISC-SHIBBOLETH Home

JISC-SHIBBOLETH  May 2007

JISC-SHIBBOLETH May 2007

Re: ScopedAffiliation

Rhys Smith <[log in to unmask]>

Discussion list for Shibboleth developments <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 1 May 2007 15:52:41 +0100

On Tue, 2007-05-01 at 15:42 +0100, Andy Swiffin wrote:
> How does this work, what values should I be setting in a directory
> attribute and how does the IdP (Internet2 1.3) decide what to release?
> Do I create a multivalued attribute in the directory which contains
> 'Staff' and 'Member' for staff members and 'Student' and 'Member' for
> students?  How does the IdP software know what to release?
>
> I'm confused (as usual :-) as to what I need to do to prepare for
> this.

Andy,

If you have a multivalued attribute, the IdP software will release all
of the values - unless your ARP is blocking it from doing so, of course
(as you would definitely do with an entitlement value for privacy
reasons).

What we're doing here in Cardiff is basically what you've described
above.

We have a multi-valued attribute on every person in the directory,
showing their affiliation. Our IDM drives the content of this attribute
- putting "member", "student", "staff", etc in as befits the person (the
business rules in our IDM know which to put in). (I, for example, would
have all three - as i'm staff and student).

You then just hook up the scopedAffiliation attribute in the Shib IdP
software (in the resolver.xml file, using the sourceName doodad to point
it to the correct attribute in your directory.

FYI, all we're using at the moment is staff, student and member. Our IDM
isn't hooked up to any alumni system yet, faculty has no real meaning
here, we haven't gotten as far as thinking about "employee" yet. I can
see a need for affiliate some time soon, but it's not yet implemented
here.

R.
Rhys Smith                                      e: [log in to unmask]
Engineering Consultant: Identity & Access Management   (GPG:0xDE2F024C)
Information Services,
Cardiff University,                            t: +44 (0) 29 2087 0126
39-41 Park Place, Cardiff,                     f: +44 (0) 29 2087 4285
CF10 3BB, United Kingdom.                      m: +44 (0) 7968 087 821