The CUTG invites applications for a publication subsidy of up to
£500/€700. This is intended to assist members who have completed a PhD and
require financial support in order that their thesis be published. The
deadline for receipt of applications is 29 June 2007.
The following criteria of eligibility apply:
• Applicants must be a fully paid-up member of the CUTG at least
from the submission of the application to the time of payment of the
subsidy. It is the responsibility of applicants to ensure that their
membership has been approved before their application is submitted.
• Applicants’ theses must have been registered at a university in
Great Britain or Ireland for a PhD on a topic related to German Studies.
• Members in full-time, permanent posts are ineligible to apply.
A brief letter of application should be mailed to the Hon. Treasurer Dr
Jim Jordan at the Department of German Studies, University of Warwick,
Coventry CV4 7AL. It should contain the following details:
• The name and contact details of the applicant.
• The applicant’s PhD thesis topic or title; the institution at
which it is registered; and the full name of the supervisor(s).
• The contact details of an academic referee who is able to comment
authoritatively on the quality and merit of the thesis. The referee should
not have been involved in the supervision of the thesis but may be, for
example, an external examiner of the thesis. It is the responsibility of
the applicant to contact the referee separately and ensure that a
reference is received by the CUTG Treasurer (by email or surface mail) by
the application deadline.
• The details of any subsidies applied for or obtained for the
publication of the thesis. Applicants should note that the CUTG encourages
them also to seek funding from other bodies.
• Applicants must enclose a copy of the letter of acceptance for
publication, as well as confirmation of the need for and level of subsidy.
Applicants will be informed of the Committee’s decision within two months
of the deadline. If unsuccessful the first time, applicants may re-submit
their application in the following round. No further re-submissions will
The successful applicant should note that the subsidy will be released
after publication under the following conditions:
• The support of the CUTG must be recorded in the acknowledgements
of the published version of the thesis.
• The applicant must forward to the Treasurer a photocopy of the
contents and acknowledgements pages of the published thesis.
Publication subsidies will be awarded at the discretion of the CUTG
Committee, which retains the right to apply further criteria of selection