Re: LibraryThing

Richard Wallis <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 26 Apr 2007 15:55:27 +0100

WorldCat Local, when it arrives as a 'production' service, could be a
solution if all the libraries are OCLC subscribers - no problem if you
are, a fairly large hurdle if you are not.

Effectively what you are looking for is a store of records which the
group of libraries can easily contribute in to, with a Search Interface
on the front.  - The traditional Union Catalogue except, as I detect
from the LibraryThing suggestion, without the traditional costs of
creating a consortium, hosting hardware & Software, and then maintaining
it.

The Personal Library service that LibraryThing provides could help with
some of this, but I don't believe was designed to achieve what you are
looking for.

You may want to take a look at the possibilities provided by the Talis
Platform [ www.talis.com/platform ].  Libraries freely contributing data
to the Platform have enabled the free UK catalogue service demonstrated
by the Talis Project Cenote [ http://cenote.talis.com ]

Considering this approach may have several benefits for the requirement
as described.  Firstly experimentation with the Platform services is
free.  Secondly, the Cenote example interface is available as Open
Source Software [http://www.talis.com/tdn/node/1718] so that you can see
how simple it would be to construct.  Talking of seeing, the 'The  20
Minute Union Catalogue' video
[http://www.talis.com/tdn/20minuteunion_video] is an interesting watch
on the subject.  Finally, as the Talis Platform services are provided as
a service, any eventual solution would not attract the traditional
hardware and running costs of a Union catalogue.

If you want to find out anything further, please let me know.

Richard Wallis
Technology Evangelist, Talis
Tel: +44 (0)870 400 5422 (Direct)
Tel: +44 (0)870 400 5000 (Switchboard)