film: «Sacco and Vanzetti»

Failla <[log in to unmask]>

Scholarly discussions in any field of Italian studies <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 1 Apr 2007 19:57:16 -0400

TEXT/PLAIN

http://www.willowpondfilms.com/sacco_and_vanzetti.html

From: Quad Cinema <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: QUAD CINEMA E-NEWS
Date: 30 Mar 2007 06:34:36 -0700

> Nicola Sacco, a shoemaker, and Bartolomo Vanzetti, a fishmonger, were
> Italian immigrants accused of murdering a paymaster and a guard in a holdup
> in South Braintree, Mass., in 1920. Their arrest coincided with a period of
> intense political repression in America, the "Red Scare" of 1919-1920.
> Although Sacco and Vanzetti had strong alibis, the fact that they were
> anarchists and pacifists (during World War I) made them easy marks. On July
> 14, 1921, after a hard-fought trial of 6 weeks, during which patriotism and
> radicalism were sharply debated by the prosecution and defense, Sacco and
> Vanzetti were found guilty of robbery and murder. A lengthy legal battle to
> save them from execution took place. Presented in the appeals were evidence
> of perjury by prosecution witnesses and a confession to the Braintree crimes
> by the notorious Morelli Gang. Huge demonstrations to free Sacco and Vanzetti
> occurred worldwide, in such places as Paris, London, Mexico City, and Buenos
> Aires. President Lowell of Harvard was appointed to review the case and
> he reached the conclusion that clemency was not warranted. Harvard
> students, in a rage, called Lowell "The Hangman." Their fate now doomed,
> Sacco and Vanzetti were executed on August 23rd, 1927.
>
> This stirring documentary, "SACCO & VANZETTI" opens at the QUAD today. It
> highlights their personal diaries which are read by actors John Turturro and
> Tony Shalhoulb. In addition, commentators such as historian Howard Zinn, Arlo
> Guthrie, Studs Terkel, and others add new insights to this incredible story.
> Using archival photos and film clips, director Peter Miller shows how the
> ordeal of Sacco and Vanzetti came to symbolize a period of intense bigotry
> and intolerance in America aimed at immigrants and dissenters. New York Times
> film critic, Matt Zoller Seitz, in his great review this morning, pointed out
> the shocking instruction Judge Thayer gave  the jury, referring to Vanzetti:
> "This man, although he may not have actually committed the crime attributed
> to him, is nevertheless culpable, because he is the enemy of our existing
> institutions." If we're not careful, this madness can happen again in this
> country. (Running time: 1:21). NR.
>
> SPECIAL TREAT: Director Peter Miller and representatives from the NY
> Civil Liberties Union will be at the QUAD for a Q&A following the 7:00PM show
> on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Peter Miller will also be present after the
> 9:10 show on these days.

Quad Cinema, NYC
SHOWTIMES: 1:00, 3:00, 5:00, 7:00, 9:10.

http://www.willowpondfilms.com/sacco_and_vanzetti.html

To join the list, send the message: join italian-studies YOUR NAME
to: [log in to unmask]
To leave the list, send the message: leave italian-studies
to: [log in to unmask]
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/italian-studies.html