miscellany

Jonathan Prag <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 10 Apr 2007 23:25:36 +0100

text/plain

CALL FOR PAPERS

Memory and Mourning: Death in Ancient Rome

Saturday November 10, 2007 at the Open University, Harborne, BIRMINGHAM.

This seminar will mark the publication of and introduce a major new
sourcebook,  Valerie Hope, Death in Ancient Rome (Routledge, forthcoming
late 2007).

Papers (approx. 30-40 mins in length) are invited on the subject of death,
dying and the dead in ancient Rome. Topics that link funerary customs to
memory promotion, monument production, the family and the presentation of
mourning will be particularly relevant; but all subjects that provide
insights into funerals, funerary rituals and commemorative practices will
be welcome.  The day is intended to be interdisciplinary and will appeal
to those interested in Roman death whether working in literature, art
history, social history or archaeology. The day will be an informal one
day seminar organised by the Department of Classical Studies at the OU and
will be held at the  OU Birmingham regional centre.

For further information and to submit a paper title, plus a short abstract
(deadline July 31 2007), please contact:

 Dr Janet Huskinson and Dr Valerie Hope, Department of Classical Studies,
The Open University, Walton Hall, Milton Keynes,
MK7 6AA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The department of Classics at the University of Glasgow is advertising for
a lectureship in Classics: details are available at

http://www.gla.ac.uk/services/humanresources/recruit/4may_13216.htm

The closing date for applications is May 4th 2007.

Catherine Steel

Dr. Catherine Steel
Senior Lecturer in Classics and Head of Department Department of Classics
University of Glasgow
G12 8QQ
0141-330-4382/5695

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Literature in English and Classical Translation 1850-1950
Corpus Christi College, Oxford

Proposals are invited for this one-day interdisciplinary conference that
aims to investigate the impact of translation from the classical languages
on literature written in English in the period between the mid-nineteenth
century and the end of high modernism (circa 1950). During these decades
both the meaning and value of the classical tradition were radically
reconfigured and this process of redefinition had a fundamental influence
on modern literature. It was a time of rapid expansion in public interest
in the ancient world, which is reflected in an unprecedented growth in the
number of translations from the classical languages, especially from
Greek. Classical literature gradually ceased to be the exclusive domain of
a small educated elite and, perhaps inevitably, there was a decline in the
cultural and social prestige attached to the knowledge of the ancient
languages. The enlarged readership of classical texts reached further down
in the social scale and comprised an increasingly large number of women.
In this new socio-cultural landscape translations became the prime locus
for the moderns’ encounter with the ancient world, and the main means by
which classical culture was disseminated. From Matthew Arnold’s seminal On
Translating Homer (1861), modern authors and critics repeatedly come back
to arguing that a good practice of classical translation is a fundamental
force in the intellectual life of the nation. What constitutes this good
practice is of course a matter of dispute.

The conference aims to bring together academics and students in the fields
of English and Classics. It is an interdisciplinary forum that will also
provide room for scholars interested in reception studies, translation
studies, cultural history and history of the book.

Contributions might include, but are not limited to:
the ‘canon’ of classical literature in translation,
classical translation and the modern literary canon,
the role of translation in the reception of classical culture in the
period,
modern authors as classical translators,
the influence of Latin and Greek translation on stylistic innovation and
literary language,
translation theory and the classics,
classical translation and aestheticism/decadence/modernist
experimentation,
classical translation and modern literary criticism,
the circulation of classical texts in translation.

The conference welcomes both diachronic approaches that examine issues
arising from the translation of particular classical authors or texts in
the period, and approaches that consider the significance of the theory
and practice of classical translation for a modern author or group of
authors.
The conference follows from a series of seminars on the same theme that
are taking place in the School of Advanced Study of the University of
London over the academic year 2006-2007. It will conclude with a
roundtable discussion to which the speakers of the London seminars will be
invited to contribute in the form of short presentations.
Please submit paper proposals in the form of 300-word abstracts to Stefano
Evangelista ([log in to unmask]) by 1 May 2007.

Proposals from graduate students are particularly welcome. Some financial
support for graduate speakers will be available.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There will be an additional PORTUS seminar on Wednesday 25th April

Burkhard Meißner (Hamburg)
War and Experience of War in the Hellenistic Period

The seminar will be taking place at 5pm in the Bosanquet Seminar Room, 12
Abercromby Square, University of Liverpool.

For further information or inquiries please contact Dr Alexei V Zadorojnyi
on [log in to unmask]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Cultural Value of Oral History
University of Glasgow, 24-26 July 2007
Call for Papers

This event is intended to establish a cross-disciplinary forum in which to
assess the evidential significance of orality and oral history. The aim is
to encourage academic excellence and an exchange of knowledge between
experienced academics, postgraduates and professionals in the field.
The two-day conference will include scholarly presentations organized into
themed sessions. Thursday 26 July will offer didactic workshops by
experienced oral history practitioners, which are designed to be of
interest to delegates at all stages of their careers. We welcome proposals
from all disciplines and subject areas. Topics addressed might include the
following:
• How does the theory and practice of oral history relate to orality,
aurality and oral cultures?
• How does the practice of oral history interact with cultural taboos?
• Is there a case for logocentrism?
• What is the future of oral history in the digital world?
• How has orality and aurality shaped past and present societies?
• History – Herstory: Does oral history redress the gender balance?
• Giving voice to the voiceless – is oral history the key to marginalized
sectors of society?
• What are the cultural and evidential values of the oral record?
• How do we deal with 'silences' in oral history?
• Is oral history 'politically correct'? What is its role within the
educational agenda?
• How are individual and collective memories configured?

Papers should be 20 minutes in length and may include audio and visual
elements within this timescale. Proposals from postgraduates are
particularly welcomed. Throughout the two days there will be the
opportunity for poster presentations. Exhibition presentations are also
welcome from professional practitioners of oral history and archival
projects.
The conference organizers, with permission, intend to pod cast
contributions and there is opportunity for postgraduates who attend the
conference to contribute to 'Orality and Literacy', Issue 10 of the award-
winning postgraduate journal, eSharp, forthcoming in November 2007.
Abstracts of no more than 250 words should be sent by email as MS Word or
PDF attachment with a brief biography to the conference organizers at the
email address below. Poster and exhibition proposals, and any requests for
further information, should be sent to the same address:
(Email)   [log in to unmask]
The deadline for submission of abstracts is 4 May 2007. Speakers will be
notified of whether their papers have been accepted by 18 May 2007.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Department of Classics at the University of Reading is pleased to
announce the following events for the period from April to September 2007:

CONFERENCES

'Classics Hell: Re-Presenting Antiquity in Mass Cultural Media'
Tuesday, 17 April 2007
See http://www.reading.ac.uk/classics/hell/

'Migrations'
Friday, 27 April 2007
A conference sponsored by the University of Reading and the Classical
Reception Studies Network.
See http://www.reading.ac.uk/classics/migrations

'Violent Commensality: Animal Sacrifice and its Discourses in the Ancient
World'
Friday, 11 May 2007
See http://www.reading.ac.uk/classics/sacrifice.htm

'Greece, Rome, and Colonial India'
Friday, 29 June 2007
This conference, which is to be held at SOAS (London), is sponsored by the
University of Reading, Royal Holloway, SOAS, the British Academy, and the
Society for the Promotion of Hellenic Studies.
See http://www.reading.ac.uk/classics/grci/

'Why Athens? Reappraising Tragic Politics'
Monday & Tuesday, 10 and 11 September 2007
This conference is sponsored by the University of Reading and the British
Academy.
See http://www.rdg.ac.uk/humanities/why_athens.htm

'Graeco-Aegyptica/Aegypto-Graeca. Interactions between Greece and Egypt
700 BCE - 300 CE'
Monday-Wednesday, 17-19 September 2007
See http://www.reading.ac.uk/GraecoAegyptica/

SEMINARS

Wednesday, 9 May, 4 p.m., HUMSS 301
'Locus datus: Latin inscriptions and the Roman state'
Gregory Rowe, University of Victoria

Thursday, 17 May, 4 p.m., HUMSS 301
'How the Ethiopian Changed His Skin'
Daniel L. Selden, University of California, Santa Cruz

Wednesday, 23 May, 4 p.m., HUMSS 301
'Alciphron's Attic Idylls: reading pastoral in the Second Sophistic'
Owen Hodkinson, University of Oxford

Wednesday, 13 June, 4 p.m., HUMSS 301
'Delayed punishment and ancestral characteristics: Croesus (and others?)
in Herodotus'
Neil Sewell-Rutter, University of Reading

For further information, please contact Phiroze Vasunia at
[log in to unmask], or write to the organizers at:
Department of Classics
The University of Reading
Whiteknights
Reading RG6 6AA
U.K.
Telephone: 0118 378 8420

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Translation and the Classical Tradition, Durham University

Dr. Catherine Steel and Dr. Carolotta Dionisotti will give papers
on 'Cicero as Translator' and 'Translations of Virgilian ecce' (tbc)
in the Department of Classics and Ancient History, Durham University, on
14 May 2007, starting with tea at 4 pm, 4.30 start, 7 pm dinner

Prof. Ahmed Etman (Cairo University) will give a talk on:
'Homer in the Arab World'
in the Department of Classics and Ancient History, Durham University, on
Monday 18 June 2007, at 2.30 pm, followed by tea.
The timing of the paper is designed to facilitate travel to Durham for
anybody interested in attending the paper. Graduate students are warmly
encouraged to apply to the Wiedemann Fund and/or the Dover Fund to cover
the cost of travel.
Prof. Ahmed Etman is a distinguished scholar of Classics and Comparative
Literature. His new arabic translation of the Iliad - which occupied 6
years of his life and a large team of researchers and collaborators - has
just been published to great critical acclaim.

Dr. Barbara Graziosi
Department of Classics and Ancient History, University of Durham Tel. 0191
334 1681

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> The British Archaeological Association’s 2007 conference will focus on
> the medieval art, architecture and archaeology of Coventry, one of the
> wealthiest English cities of the later Middle Ages.  We plan to visit
> all the city’s most important medieval sites, including some not
> usually accessible to the public.  Visits are also planned to the
> former collegiate church at Astley, the Cistercian monastic site at
> Combe Abbey and to Kenilworth Castle, parish church and abbey ruins.
> Subjects of lectures will encompass the history and archaeology of
> medieval Coventry; the monastic community of Coventry Priory;
> romanesque art and architecture in Coventry and Warwickshire; the
> gothic architecture of the cathedral priory and the city churches;
> later medieval painting, stained glass and seals; the city walls and
> gates; masons marks; as well as specific papers on the sites outside
> the city.  The conference welcomes professional scholars and amateur
> enthusiasts alike, and is open to non-members.
>
> A limited number of scholarships is available to cover the cost of
> conference and accommodation.  I would be grateful if you could bring
> these to the attention of any students whom you feel would benefit
> from attendance at the conference.  Those wishing to apply should
> write to me at 42 South Parade, Oxford, OX2 7JL, enclosing a CV,
> reference and, if possible, an email address.  Applications should be
> received by 30 April 2007.
>
> If you, or any potential applicants, have any questions about the
> conference, please do not hesitate to get in touch.
>
> With best wishes,
> Kate Heard
> Honorary Conference Secretary
> British Archaeological Association

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Junior Teaching Fellowships in Classical Art and Archaeology (Three Posts)
Faculty Of Classics, In Association With Brasenose, St John's And
Worcester Colleges University of Oxford
http://jobs.ac.uk/jobfiles/XC013.html

ASPROM  (Association for the Study and Preservation of Roman Mosaics)
offers grants up to a maximum value of £500 ( funds permitting) to support
costs of travel and/or  publication  to do with the study of ancient
mosaics. The deadline for this round of applications is June 30 2007, and
candidates will be informed in late October.  For terms and conditions and
a downloadable booking form please see the ASPROM website : www.
asprom.org.