PHD-DESIGN  April 2007

PHD-DESIGN April 2007

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: History - design research and the minor role of the wicked idea

Eduardo Corte Real <[log in to unmask]>

Eduardo Corte Real <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 27 Apr 2007 13:36:48 +0100

text/plain

Dear Klaus, Terry , Richard and all,

When the production of "Gone with the Wind" ended, David O. Selznik created
the title of “Production Designer” for William Cameron Menzies. As you
probably know, GWTW had four different directors and Selznick credited
Menzies for his previous work in collaboration with the art director  Lyle
Wheeler that assured the consistency of the film. Menzies' work was
constituted by 1500 sketch water colours that "tamed" the following
directors towards the final master's piece despite of all wicked situations
in between.

I've been following this thread very scarcely, so please apologise some
distraction in this comment.

While designing most of the problems are both wicked and tamed (which
probably means that all are wicked) but it is useful to analytically
distinguish one from the other.

I think that the difference from your approach and Terry’s is that you are
classifying problems and Terry is qualifying definitions of problems. Trying
to put this more clear: You are (further) developing a description of a type
of problems from the point of view of a design philosopher and Terry is
assessing problems as tools for design actions.

So, Why Menzies?

Because he was the first to be called “Production Designer”, not in the
sense that he planned how much should the production pay to Vivian Leigh or
which company should be the caterers but because he used watercolours to
anticipate a product to come!

Like Klaus, I would like to see more about what is there in common between
the disciplines that use design in their title. So, here is my contribution:
A Production Designer is, sometimes, also called Art Director.

Cheers,

Eduardo