Help for MCG Archives

MCG Archives

MCG@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

MCG Home

MCG  April 2007

MCG April 2007

Machine tags (was: Flickr talk at the National Maritime Museum, Thursday 19th April)

"Ottevanger, Jeremy" <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 23 Apr 2007 13:16:01 +0100

Yes, Jim, I do think there's mileage in that. You're right to be looking
for existing formats or standards out there for museum object data, so
that  that machine tags can be co-ordinated with or correspond to. As
you say, DC is the obvious candidate. It is of course limited in some
ways, but alternatives like CDWA[lite] probably won't work as well for
some classes of object (like natural history collections) and in any
case it needs to remain simple to use, so DC remains a good candidate.
Something along the lines of the following might work (not specifically
DC):

mobject:institution="Museum of London"
mobject:title="Lodon from Southwark"
mobject:type="painting"
mobject:creator="Dutch school"

I'm keen to investigate the potential of a microformat for museum
objects, too (and have done a little groundwork) and really there's not
a great deal of difference between the two, or there shouldn't be. I
think that whatever solution is arrived at for one should be readily
portable to the other. As I say, I think that it's most important that
format (machine tag or microformat) is easy to use; the priority is to
flag up the existence of objects (and their holders) and ideally a place
to find out more, rather than to try to capture reams of information in
that format itself. I'd be very interested to hear where your thoughts
are taking you.

All the best, Jeremy

Jeremy Ottevanger
Web Developer, Museum Systems Team