Extending the copyright law

Grant Young <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 16 Mar 2007 19:07:02 +0000

Dear NEW-MEDIA-CURATING list

A colleague who is contributing to an important consultation over
changes to copyright law has put out the following urgent request.
The recommendations she refers to are from the recent Gowers Review
into intellectual property rights. See
http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/independent_reviews/gowers_review_intellectual_property/gowersreview_index.cfm

She says -

<quote>

"The Patent Office has mentioned that the following two
Recommendations below, have only received negative feedback so far
from rights holders and so they are keen to be updated about
favourable responses to these.

Recommendation 11: Propose that Directive 2001/29/EC be amended to
allow for an exception for creative, transformative or derivative
works, within the parameters of the Berne Three Step Test.

Recommendation 12: Create an exception to copyright for the purpose
of caricature, parody or pastiche by 2008.

In order to try and ensure that these Recommendations are implemented
in their current form by means of a submission to the Patent Office,
I was wondering if any of you might be aware of any general instances
of situations where:

 - The lack of such Exceptions have prevented certain works from
being created by students/lecturers and/or

 - Where such activities take place anyway within the context of
teaching/learning and research activities (with or without rights
clearance procedures being followed)?"

</quote>

Note that although she needs to give them real examples, these could
be anonymised.

Please send any relevant examples to me and I will consolidate and
forward to her (or ask me for her direct contact details if you want
more information)

With best wishes,

Grant

Grant Young
TASI Technical Research Officer (half time)
Digitisation Project Manager (half time)
[log in to unmask] | 0117 928 7109
http://www.ilrt.bris.ac.uk/aboutus/staff?search=cmgay

TASI - Technical Advisory Service for Images
Free help, advice and guidance for the Further and Higher
Education sector - http://www.tasi.ac.uk/- A JISC Service

CURL 19th Century Pamphlets Online Digitisation Project
http://www.curl.ac.uk/projects/NineteenOnline.htm