Re: Texts as cultural objects

John Bryant <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 27 Mar 2007 11:34:06 -0400

text/plain

I hope it is to expand.  I don't think I am saying that text is thought
process, only that it represents that process, and that it happens first
in mind before it is inscribed.  In revision, we find that the act of
inscribing also induces further thought and re-inscription, but what
happens in mind still precedes the re-inscribing, or revision.

Surely, we cannot capture either the writing or the reading experience.
These are events that cannot be "retrieved" or "reconstructed" or
"restored."  All that we can do is "construct" a narrative, based on
inscriptions, about our understanding of what happens when someone
writes or reads.  For this reason I have always stressed that scholars,
editors, and critics can only propose hypotheses about the process.
Processes are invisible, but they exist, and they can be talked about.
The problem is how to talk about them responsibly.

There is resistance to this kind of historicizing that goes back to New
Critical days and the so-called Intentional Fallacy.  The IF argues that
we cannot presume that our interpretation of a text is what the author
intended.  But over the years this wise injuction has been deformed by
many to be an injunction against discussing intentions or intentionality
at all.  And this has made it difficult for textual scholars and
editors, who invariably touch upon intentionality, to gain much validity
(beyond being the "establishers" of texts) in the critical community.
The study of revision, however, provides a material-based approach to
sharpening the discussion about intention b/c a revision (as Peter S
once remarked and I paraphrase) is concrete evidence of an intention to
do something.  So revision is a wedge that allows us to inspect the
evidence of intentions and the writing and reading process more closely.

So, Wim, I think we agree more than your last message would suggest.  We
cannot get into the minds of anyone--writers, readers, or athletes--but
we can create a field of discourse about writing, reading, and revision.
 This requires interpretation, as Peter has argued, and textual
scholars, I guess, are reluctant to edge into interpretation (though
every intellectual act they perform is a matter of judgment and
interpretation), b/c we have been trained to eschew speculation and we
have witnessed bad interpretations based on irresponsible presumptions
of intention.  But if textual criticism is to be acknowledged as truly
critical, then textual scholars, critics, and editors need to embrace
this field of discourse and interpretation, and conduct it responsibly.

yrs,
John

___________
John Bryant, English Department, Hofstra University, Hempstead, NY 11549
>>> Wim Van Mierlo <[log in to unmask]> 03/27/07 6:22 AM >>>
So much to respond to, so little time.

1) aren't we trying to reduce (or expand?) to something else: John
attributes a thought process to text, but that would rather have to be a
relationship between thought and language (and which one comes first, an
old debate), and then investigate the relationship between language and
(printed) text. At which point we can bring in our old friend Saussure
who divided language (or signs) in a material and immaterial part.

2) Peter's point about reading history: I think it is (again) very much
the traces of reading that we can respond to, and from these deduce (or
psychogolize) about the reading experience, but that actual reading
experience we cannot capture. (Nor can we, John, the actual composition
process in the mind: we can witness traces of revision, we can deduce
intentions in quite a number of instances, but it remains very much an
exercise similar to trying to reconstruct life and history from an
archeological site--or to choose another parallel: how I hate sports
commentators who get into the mind of the athletes on the field and
explain for their viewers/listeners what their precise
motivations/emotions are!) Even when we would study the neurological
processes in reading (or writing for that matter), we wouldn't have the
actual experience.

Wim