HERFORUM@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

HERFORUM Home

HERFORUM  March 2007

HERFORUM March 2007

Re: Recording antiquarian trenches

Chris Wardle <[log in to unmask]>

Issues related to Historic Environment Records <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 22 Mar 2007 10:54:07 +0000

All of this hinges on how you distinguish an 'antiquarian trench' from
an archaeological trench.
-A 17th century headmaster of Repton School (Derbys) delving into a
mound in the churchyard certainly would be an antiquarian trench, as
would the trenches that Carrington & Bateman cut into Peak District
barrows in the 1830s & 40s.
-But what about early 20th century digs? I'd would class an unpublished
and unrecorded investigation on Castle Ring (Staffs) in the 1920s as
one, but would class that Kathleen Kenyon excavtion at Jewry Wall (Leic)
in the 30s as archaeological.
-It's probably best not to get into this hair splitting and class them
all as events!

Chris

Chris Wardle
City Archaeologist
Urban Design Group
Leicester City Council
Block A
New Walk Centre
Welford Place
Leicester. LE1 6ZR
0116 2527282

>>> [log in to unmask] 22/03/2007 10:37:46 >>>
Hi Alice et al,

I think from a historical point of view it is interesting, and indeed
worthwhile, to record these as monuments in the same way we record
robber trenches. What you record them as is another issue. My first
thought was to use TRENCH but the scope note is quite specific about
these being defensive.

A new term which highlights the function of the trench could be the way
forward - something like Excavation Trench.

Just a thought.

Phil

Phil Carlisle

Data Standards Supervisor

English Heritage

National Monuments Record Centre

Kemble Drive

Swindon

SN2 2GZ

+44 (0)1793 414824

http://thesaurus.english-heritage.org.uk/

The information contained within this e-mail is confidential and may be
privileged. It is intended for the addressee only. If you have received
the e-mail in error, please inform the sender and delete it from your
system. The contents of this e-mail must not be disclosed to anyone else
or copied without the sender's consent.

Any views and opinions expressed in this message are those of the
author and do not necessarily reflect those of English Heritage. English
Heritage will not take any responsibility for the views of the author.